New wood stove or insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

First post great forum!

Here is my situation looking for some guidance. I have a see through fireplace that will not draw so I am looking at putting a a wood burning stove or insert into one side. I have a couple questions-

The opening on one side of the fireplace is 30"highx33" wide 42" deep. I have found several wood burning stoves that would fit in the opening that measure right at 30 inches. Is it safe to install the stove with 1 inch of clearance to the top of the inside of the fireplace? The entire wood burning stove will fit inside the fireplace I would move the front door up to the edge. The entire fireplace is brick.

Or do I forgo the stove thing and just install a insert?

Mike

I am not an expert on your question but I can tell you in my experience there is a definite advantage to a stand alone stove. I have never owned an insert but some friends that do burn a lot more wood and I hear complaints about the cold. Maybe the newer versions with a fan are better but common sense tells me most of the heat goes up the chimney. My new stove is ridiculously better now. Looks like I will be burning a third of the wood my old stove burned and its a lot warmer also. If I had a choice between the two it would be an easy decision for the stove.

I agree with jazzberry. I had a long hard look at building a stone fireplace and installing an insert when I wanted to replace my stove. We ended up with a larger, newer stove. Inserts require fans to push the heat into the room and that means when the power goes out, you have a very ineffective heater or you have back-up power.
You probably won't have much choice. By the sounds of it, your clearance is not enough but no one can answer without a lot more detail. Each stove will have different clearance requirements and it's ALL based on clearance to combustibles. Even though your brick is not a combustible, it probably is attached to wood, which is.
It easiest to take a photo of the opening and we can answer a lot better.

One inch of play when moving in and connecting a 500# stove can lead to some cursing. You need to have room to get hands and tools in there to attach the liner to the appliance adapter to the stove. You have some advantage if the access to the back of the stove is good through the other side. but I would also consider seeing if there is a short leg kit available to increase top clearance. In lieu of that shortening the legs on the stove may be an option.

Or consider putting in a stove that is designed to work both ways. Most Buck stoves are designed to be freestanding or an insert. How large an area will be heated?

My home is 1400 sq foot ranch with internal chimney and fireplace is almost in the center of a open floor plan.

I have only tried the fireplace once, this is what it looked like when I bought the house and I have not touched it.

I am leaning towards getting an Osburn 2400 because of the lifetime warranty. I have read all the installation posts on this forum so I am fairly confident I can install it.

Let me know if you think i have any potential problems? I do think the hearth is a bit short so i am trieng to figure out how to make it larger to meet the minimum spec.

Thanks, Mike
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 5KxLeU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2400 is a good heater. I'd go with the insert here. The freestander has no convection deck, just a slight bend to the rear heatshield to deflect the blower air over the top of the stove. And it is a 33" tall pedestal stove. The insert will convect the heat out to the front of the fireplace more efficiently. It will also present a more finished look and it will be much easier to install.

Inserts require fans to push the heat into the room and that means when the power goes out, you have a very ineffective heater or you have back-up power.

inserts w/o fans can be very effective.
these things are primarily radiant heaters after all.

if the fan increased efficiency so much wouldn't the stove makers be bragging at how much more efficient their stoves are with the optional fan?
the perceived difference can be great though.....

Big heat comin' to the Windy City!

Update!

I cut out my damper and ran my insulated liner today. WOW what a dirty job! Turns out there was a ledge behind my damper that had almost a 5 gallon bucket of dirt, rust, leaves, a tennis ball, piece of rope and some pink needle thing.

I went through 3 cutting wheels on my cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder(need to upgrade). I will get some more picture in the morning of the liner. I went with the Rockford Chimney supply insulated liner and cap. The quality of the liner was really nice. I really like the new chimney cap!

gzdKy6.jpg8alRrP.jpglExg97.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.