New wood stove .. Placement experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RetsooR

Nov 21, 2019
I'm planning a wood stove purchase in the near future. I have several locations for the install. I had an idea. Mabey a bad one? Has anyone tried using a keroseen heater to replicate a wood burning stoves location? I could move the keroseen heater around to get an idea of how the stoves heat would work in the house.?

Post a sketch of the floorplan including windows, doors and stairwell if there is a second floor.

Ok made this kinda fast sorry..
20191122_165036.jpg

It is two story .stairs are completely open on one side.. living room is tall celling over the stairs. There is really only one interior door down stairs 10x10 computer room. Well the small half bath and a small laundry room..

The house has a central heat and air built 10 years ago.

Veiw from top of stairs balcony. Stove could possibly go here I think all the heat would just go up though..

Veiw from that same chair downstairs through the house into family room..

Attachments

• 20191122_170854.jpg
    20191122_170854.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 61
Well.. i tried this last couple of nights . Temps were around 35 degrees. I want to try later when the outside temps are lower.
So i have a Kerosene Heater 23000 btu. I turned the heat pump downstairs and upstairs to 68 degrees. I also had a thermometer to check room temps wile it was running in the two different locations. A small 8 inch fan was placed behind the heater in both locations. All doors upstairs were open as were the rooms downstairs. Heat pump thermostat downstairs is located behind stairs wall. Thermostat upstairs is located at top of stairs .

First Location Blue. 1 hour run
68 degree temp in house at start.
1 hour later downstairs thermostat was holding at 68 degrees
Upstairs thermostat was at 74 degrees.
every room in house was reading at least 68 degrees top of the stairs were highest at 74
I closed all bedroom doors at top of stairs and temp near the thermostat quickly raised to 76 degree
Heat pump stayed off entire time .Yayyy

Second Location Red. 1 Hour run
68 degree temp in house at start
1 hour later downstairs temp was 70 degree
Upstairs thermostat was at 71 degrees
every room in house was reading over 69 degrees
Highest temp was room where stove was 74 degrees
Heat pump obviously never came on whole time. Yayyy

Thing that surprised me the most was it was over two hours after i turned kerosene heater off that the house temp dropped enough for the heat pump to kick back on.

Im leaning towards the red location.. this is where we spend most of our time .the other room well as you can see its just where the Christmas tree goes lol. i think it is open enough that the heat will flow out into the kitchen and through the hall way and fill the blue room not heating up the stove room to bad..

I would appreciate anyone's
red or blue.png
thoughts . next will be what size stove to get. this is 2300-2400 sf home

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Yeah, you may want the upstairs cooler for sleeping but if you need to move some heat out of the FR, use a small fan on low to move cool, dense air toward the stove room, which will flow into the bottom of the doorway, displacing warm air out the top of the FR doorway. Fan could be placed where the blue square is now or possibly outside the kitchen corner at the base of the stairs.
Kids hanging out upstairs behind closed doors could use a small room heater.

Thank you for the reply.. cant wait for the temps to get lower I want to try this with colder temps.. I dont think I will have any problem getting the heat upstairs.. I see so many people trying to get there heat upstairs . I think my problem is going to be keeping it downstairs in this home.