New wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 23, 2018
Indiana
Looking for recommendations for a new wood stove. Currently have a Vermont castings defiant encore 2190 that the doors are warped on and won’t keep a fire longer then 3-4 hours and is unable to be controlled. Would be heating approximately 2000 sqft has an 8 inch flue currently would like to not have to change any of that if possible. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are very many stoves that run an 8" flue. You might be going with a new VC Defiant, Blazeking King, or Kuma Sequoia. Supposedly Vermont Castings has sorted all the issues with their new stoves, but I understand your hesitance to get another one. If you don't care about how the stove looks then the King is probably the best option.

Blaze King, King requires an 8 inch chimney. 4 cubic ft box, sound like right up your alley

Good idea, get rid of the Vermont Castings. An item must be identified as garbage, and then gotten rid of.

For you I was going to say get my stove, the Jotul Oslo, but, it takes a 6 inch flue.

Pull a 6" liner through your existing 8" flue, then you have all kinds of choices...pretty limited with 8" and they will all be way too big for 2000 ft...

Pull a 6" liner through your existing 8" flue, then you have all kinds of choices...pretty limited with 8" and they will all be way too big for 2000 ft...
Unless it is poorly insulated, which I expect since he overfired the defiant.

I just purchased the house in the spring of 2018 last winter was my first time using the stove it was shot when I moved in. I replaced the fire back and cat and it hasn’t ever been able to keep a fire longer then four hours. There is a gap at the bottoms of both doors that can be seen from looking thru the griddle door.

I should have said "... And that's how the Defiant overfired." rather than say you did it, so please excuse me. How is your insulation?

Many 6" flue woodstoves will work on an 8" flue. It's not perfect, but can work ok, especially if it is a straight-up interior chimney. Woodheater, what's the budget? Are you looking for any particular style stove or do you just want reliable heat?

Can you describe the flue system in detail? Is the 8" flue straight up or out the wall? How tall? Is it metal all the way or masonry?

No particular style stove, just mainly want heat. 8 inch black pip for 4 ft to the ceiling the 8 inch double wall the rest of the way probably another 15-18 feet thru the roof to the cap. The defiant has been in there since the house was built in 93 I know the guy who built the house that was how he heated the house had a furnace for back up but never used it then he sold it and I believe the people I bought it from are the ones that over fired it. The house is a relatively open floor plan with cathedral ceilings with a loft so pretty open the current stove I have is a sand color but black is fine with me I’m not picky. Price wise I guess I’m willing to pay for what I get in other words if it’s going to last and not give me problems then I’m ok with spending the money. But I don’t want to cheap out and get a piece of junk!

Thanks again for you guys input any more would be appreciated!

Both the Englander 30NC and the Drolet HT3000 (was HT2000) or Baltic II are solid simple heaters in the 3 cu ft range. They provide high value. Englanders are also sold under the Summer's Heat and Timber Ridge brand. Drolet is part of SBI which also makes Osburn, Enerzone, Century stoves. You can find these stoves online and at some big box stores. For dealer sold stoves take a look at the Pacific Energy Summit, Quadrafire 5700, Regency F3100, etc..

Reactions: brenndatomu
Price wise I guess I’m willing to pay for what I get in other words if it’s going to last and not give me problems then I’m ok with spending the money.
Although I haven't run it much yet, the PE Alderlea T5 I got for my SIL has impressed me with its design and sturdiness. You can get the stripped-down Super, same box, for not a lot of money considering what you get. This is a tube stove, but maybe you're not averse to getting another cat stove?

Although I haven't run it much yet, the PE Alderlea T5 I got for my SIL has impressed me with its design and sturdiness. You can get the stripped-down Super, same box, for not a lot of money considering what you get. This is a tube stove, but maybe you're not averse to getting another cat stove?
PE stoves are non-cats, but there are no tubes in them, they aren't "tube-stoves". They use a proprietary and unique, stainless, baffle box system that distributes secondary air.

PE stoves are non-cats, but there are no tubes in them, they aren't "tube-stoves". They use a proprietary and unique, stainless, baffle box system that distributes secondary air.
And that is just one of the reasons we love them. ==c "Secondary stove" would have been the better term, although it takes a bit more typing. ;)