New Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pete6962

Dec 7, 2019
Western ny
Hi... New guy here and my first post.
I'm a long time wood stove user ( 30 + years) and all of it with a barrel kit type stove to heat just my small detached work shop/garage of about 500 sq ft (insulated). The barrel type stove ( I've gone thru several over the years) have served me well, Since its a worshop I heat, my primary need was always to get the place heated up fast and since i was going to leave it at the end of the day, I didn't really care how long a fire lasted. Didn't need or want it to last overnight.
But last year I noticed that a lot of new wood stoves claim to be very efficient and use way less wood. Hey ,using less wood sounds good to me since I fell, cut and split all my own firewood. But I'm concerned that the new type stoves might not heat the the workshop up very quickly in the morning. Sort of like , the fire lasts forever but takes forever to initially heat things up.
The newer type stoves I saw used terms like high efficiency, air tight and secondary burn.
Any insights, cause I'd rather not pay a lot of $'s for a new stove only to freeze my tail off till late in the day.
Pete

I used an NC-30 years ago in our old house. It was amazing how quickly it came up to 700 deg from a. cold start with good dry wood. I don't think any of my cat stoves were able to get there that quickly. If I remember correctly it was around 15-20 minus and that's a good sized stove that is economical, so it should fit the bill for heating up 500sq ft of insulated space. Now I don't now if it will duplicate what your barrel stove does. Thats a question for BrotherBart....

Reactions: Sawset
Yeah, you need a cheap, big plate-steel stove that can throw big heat in a hurry. Then have a torpedo heater or whatever else might work, to run for a short period to bring the shop to temp while you wait for the wood stove to get crankin'.

Drolet, Englander NC-30, etc.

Do you use the workshop every day? If so, a BK might make an awful lot of sense. You aren't going to need a ton of heat to hold 500sq ft in normal conditions. A cat stove could be the ticket. 1 load a day and the place stays warm 24/7.