New ZC fireplace vs Jotul stove insert into prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetgeek

Jul 2, 2008
Eastern PA
This is my second post so not to bore you with details, there is more background here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19545/

I need to replace or update a mid 1980's prefab fireplace in a rental townhouse. The chimney is a frame chase on an outside wall. I don't get there very often so I have to make sure I make the best use of my next trip there. I also don't know very much about what is in place there now. I'm down to 2 options:

1) Rip out the prefab, the chimney piping, and the entire stone veneer surround/mantel and replace everything with a new zc EPA fireplace and class A chimney. Top picks on units right now are BIS Traditione or Heat & Glo Northstar.

2) Install a Jotul Winterport wood stove insert into the existing pre-fab fireplace and install a new 6" pipe inside the existing pipe which is probably 8".

Of course option 1 is 2x the cost of option 2 but since I don't have much confidence in what is there it may be the safest option. I know the wood stove insert requires the prefab unit to be UL 127 but I don't know if that standard existed in the 80's or whether my prefab is certified. My priorities are:

1) Safety
2) Idiot proof operation
3) Heat

All installation work will be done by professionals. FYI I just had a Jotul Winterport installed into a masonry fireplace at home last year and I love it. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.