Newb- cord question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

birdfeeder

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to using a wood stove! I'm pretty excited to learn (hopefully by advice and not mistakes).

We just had a jotul f400 installed in a 1200 sq ft house a couple of weeks ago. We had started cutting and splitting wood for next year back in September, but knew we would need to purchase for this winter. The "seasoned wood" sales advertised by a lot of people has quickly shown themselves to be generous in the use of the word "seasoned".

We are fortunate to know a few people in our area who are excited for our new heat source, and have offered wood that is actually seasoned.

This amounts to apprx 2- 2 1/2 cords.

I know it isn't an ideal situation to be in, but how much more wood should I be trying to put up this week?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to using a wood stove! I'm pretty excited to learn (hopefully by advice and not mistakes).

We just had a jotul f400 installed in a 1200 sq ft house a couple of weeks ago. We had started cutting and splitting wood for next year back in September, but knew we would need to purchase for this winter. The "seasoned wood" sales advertised by a lot of people has quickly shown themselves to be generous in the use of the word "seasoned".

We are fortunate to know a few people in our area who are excited for our new heat source, and have offered wood that is actually seasoned.

This amounts to apprx 2- 2 1/2 cords.

I know it isn't an ideal situation to be in, but how much more wood should I be trying to put up this week?

That's a tough question to answer. A 1200 square foot house could take anywhere from 1.5 cords to realistically 6 cords or more. Also assuming we are talking about a true cord of wood that is 4'x4'x8'.

It all comes down to insulation, windows, layout, burning habits, type of wood and more.

I use less wood then most for my size house because I invested heavily in insulation. Also I burn a load and let it go to coals until I just enough coals to easily get a new piece of wood to burn. Seems to save a bunch or wood.

Reactions: birdfeeder
Given your weather and comparing it to ours I figure you are in four cord territory for 24/7 burning. But any time you have a new stove you are going to go through more wood the first season than any after that.

That's a tough question to answer. A 1200 square foot house could take anywhere from 1.5 cords to realistically 6 cords or more. Also assuming we are talking about a true cord of wood that is 4'x4'x8'.

It all comes down to insulation, windows, layout, burning habits, type of wood and more.

I use less wood then most for my size house because I invested heavily in insulation. Also I burn a load and let it go to coals until I just enough coals to easily get a new piece of wood to burn. Seems to save a bunch or wood.

This year is the first year I'll be keeping close track on my wood usage. I have a rack in the garage that holds a face cord (not even sure that's a proper term), but it's 4' x 8' single row. So far I've gone through 1/2 of that, but it was loaded with uglies and tiny's and punky wood, for the shoulder season. Tonight's low is supposed to be 16F so I brought in some of the good stuff. I was in the habit of keeping it stuffed full when I was on Propane, but now that I'm on NG, I do 2 fires a day, the biggest one at night. We'll see how my wood lasts. I'm two years ahead now, and will be 3 years ahead at the end of fall.

Last edited:
True cords, yes. Sounds like I had better get to it, thanks for the insight!

I LOVE fall and winter cutting, no bugs, poison ivy, mud etc. I can skid my logs out of the woods to a processing point and get to bucking and splitting. Usually start in full Carhartts , and am down to bibs and shirt withing an hour. Having my wood shed stuffed to the gills come Spring, priceless, let the seasoning begin.

I would say grab as much as you can, also don't forget who was generous and gave you a head start, repay them back with wood. If you only have 2 1/2 cords of seasoned wood to burn this year you may want to look into buying and burning compressed wood blocks, mixing them in also helps extend your 2 1/2 cords. FYI packs are foresale at tractor supply. $2.50 per pack, normally $3.00 or higher

I would say grab as much as you can, also don't forget who was generous and gave you a head start, repay them back with wood. If you only have 2 1/2 cords of seasoned wood to burn this year you may want to look into buying and burning compressed wood blocks, mixing them in also helps extend your 2 1/2 cords. FYI packs are foresale at tractor supply. $2.50 per pack, normally $3.00 or higher

In my area you can buy them by the pallet alot cheaper. Might be worth looking into.

Whats priceless is being able to move from propane to NG....am so jealous:)

I can't lie, it is ==c, not having to pre-buy, or wonder what price it will be next year. I still burn pretty much the same though because I'm frugal.

Reactions: Wickets
True cords, yes. Sounds like I had better get to it, thanks for the insight!
Get yourself 3 years ahead, and you'll never have to worry about whether the wood is ready to burn. Figure 3-4 cord per year. After year 2 to 3, you'll prolly be burning less as you get to know the stove and hone your burning practices.

As Hogwildz said, "Get yourself 3 years ahead..." While you will always have seasoned wood, you will also avoid feeling pressured or stressed to find wood, since you will have plenty. Then when the wood is available for free, you can get it. In my area there is always free wood from tree companies and homeowners. You just have to be willing to get it when the getting is good.

Be sure you have all your smoke detectors installed and at least one good fire extinguisher handy. And learning to clean your own chimney would be a good thing too. Good luck. And happy fires.