1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Newb felling question

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Danno77, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    If I had cut that tree, and knew it was a leaner over a trail, and did not have it on the ground, I wouldn't sleep a minute until I finished, or hired somebody, to finish the job.

I wish this thread was posted over on arboristsite.com, they'd have a cow for sure!

Best thing to do is get a chain around it, below the notched cut, and I mean a LONG chain, and pull from the base of the cut tree, straight away from the stump, preferably with a comealong or winch. If it breaks at the notch, and the remaining stump plows into the ground, go back and get the chain around it again, and pull it down, straightaway from the tree it's hung up on.

Funny things happen with trees like this, top branches snap, fly back, and kill unsuspecting fellers, or bystanders.

Anybody that recommends cutting the tree the leaner is tangled up in, or anybody that recommends dropping a third tree into the the two that are standing, has a death wish.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    don't get too worked up over the "Trail" issue. It's on private property, the trail is known by me, my parents, grandparents and siblings. All of those people know about the leaning tree and it's current precarious nature. If someone not in my family gets squished by that tree, then I'll consider it a lesson against tresspassing.
  3. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yeah, I'm still thinking my dynamite suggestion is the way you need to go.
  4. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    Anything involving explosives is a good idea.
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Well, I used to say "God gave me ten fingers on purpose." Now I say "he left me 8," so I'm TOTALLY with you on the dynamite.
  6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    [quote Did anyone catch Extreme Loggers last night on Discovery? Perfect example of the "mess" that happens when trying to hit the hung up tree with another. The camera man was nearly killed .[/quote]

Yup - I caught it with the Mule Logging and the hung up tree. Between the 2 pros - one would not touch it and the other was very cautious/scared and did it anyway.

That right there is not the way I am going to die for sure. F that!
  7. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Fugazi - thanks for posting the link to the OSHA site. As a relative novice chain saw operator it was a great review reading through the site. I'm not comfortable felling trees, so I don't. But I do limb and buck a fair amount and found the review of Top/Bottom Bind's helpful.
  8. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    I've never figured out how the trees know that their final act should be to fall against another tree in the most inconvenient position for the logger.

Kind of a "murphy's law : for trees.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.