Newb looking for some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coldfire

Oct 17, 2023
Nedrow, NY
Recently bought a house with an older Glacier Bay wood stove. Had it inspected and cleaned and everything looked good with a level 2 inspection. I didn't even think to ask the tech about properly burning in this. I did look on the wiki but the manual for the stove doesn't match my style. There's only the two doors for the firebox. I'm assuming to keep the doors closed when burning for maximum heat output? How does this stove draw in air from the room (if thats even a thing?) I burned in it tonight for the first time and left the doors open. The previous owner had some grates that go over the opening when the doors were left open. I've attached some pictures of the stove for any insight. If the manual in the wiki that closely resembles this stove will suffice I apologize.

d4e4301b922efa37cea0458cf5e657ba.jpg 1ed78c4a14ef2b97e24ae7dfff447999.jpg ee5bd403d4c63d9885f21939cf2b6f81.jpg

Air is supplied to the fire via the draft caps on the doors. The stove is basically a Fisher copy. You can use the Fisher manual for operation. Go to page 13.
Dry, fully seasoned firewood and kindling is what makes for a successful fire.

Yup doors closed for sure. Get off to a good start and use the "Top Down" fire starting method.