Newb needs help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dirtmtrsports

Feb 24, 2019
Central PA
Hello. I have a 1650 sq ft ranch home with a full basement that's insulated as well. I was going to put a wood stove in the basement but I travel for work and don't want my wife to have to tend a wood stove. Right now we use a 4 ton heat pump that has a 5kw heat bank supplement. The heat pump has gotten us through the past 5 years without any space heaters or extra heat needed. I'm just looking for something that's cheaper to run and also easier to run on a generator if needed.
What's a good stove in the 60k btu range that's in the approx $2k price range?
Just looking for something dependable that won't break the bank. I seen harman mentioned a lot but just can't find what I need in my price range from them. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
Go the extra bucks at least for the Maxx or a Quad cb1200. you won’t regret it.

Reactions: johneh
Yes they are Englander stoves

Seems everybody wants a 60k(assuming 60 btu) stove,for under 2k.Ya,and I want unicorns pooping wood pellets.Just sounds like to me,another person that has not done their research.As far as generators,you should not run a pellet stove on one,unless it is an inverter generator,not some cheep tractor/farm stor generator.

I'll admit I haven't done a lot of research. I just started this job 3 weeks ago traveling. Up until then I was planning on getting a straight wood stove. Have some cut split dried. 10x14 wood shed built and was ready to buy a Englander this spring. Now having this job and staying away sometimes I've decided a pellet stove would be a better option for my wife when I'm not home. What does an inverter generator do for a pellet stove. Just cleaner power?

Yes most pellet stove electronics are pretty sophisticated now and are highly susceptible to failure due to dirty power.

Freaks me out every time i touch mine...zapping at least an inch of static electrocity to it...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...e-with-120-lb-hopper-2-800-sq-ft?cm_vc=IOPDP1

I have the above the sove and it has heated my whole house with out issue since 2014, My home is 2,600 SQ FT and I have it on the main floor in a central location. The stove is not the quietest but I can and do watch TV in the same room it is. The Stove May over heat a smaller Home.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...with-130-lb-hopper-remote-and-wall-thermostat

The King stove I know 6 Different people that have them and they do like them, My one friend who has one it just doesn't work well for him but it may be how he has it vented and located that may be the issue for him.