Newb with Basic Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Believer

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2010
St Louis
Forgive me if I show ignorance but this is the place to get smart. I want to build a home in a few years--a timber frame in central Kansas, 2500 sq ft, radiant slab, fair amount of passive solar gain. I want to figure out the radiant heat, at least the general components I'll need. In doing a little reseach on the internet, it looks like one option would to use a high end domestic hot water heater; this I'm reading about at the Radiantec web site. I will need to be able to winterize so I'll need an indirect system.

Am I going in the right direction? Is a water heater the right choice or should I be thinking boiler? Does the solar gain complicate the design or is it just a summing heat source?

Consider a small high efficiency modulating boiler with a DHW tang inside. These combo units will run the floor heat and supply about 3 gpm of endless hot water.

There are many brands out these days. Triangle Tuber Prestige is a favorite, Baxi, Laars, Lochinvar are some of the boiler brands. Most of the tankless brands offer them also. Navian, Rinnai, Takagi.

I would advise against a system the uses the DHW as the radiant floor heat, keep the heating fluid separate from the potable water.

Here is a download that shows a number of ways to pipe solar in with DHW and radiant.

www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/Magazines/pdf/idronics_6_us.pdf

hr

I would also be cautious about the Radiantec setups because of the way they use potable water for heating.

Should be able to design the Domestic water system to drain down pretty easy.

The radiant slab could be a bit trickier but you can use a Glycol mix, hence the need to keep the systems separate.

I do not believe a DHW heater will sufficiently heat 2500[] slab. Our first year we had trouble heating a slab half that size when it got good and cold. To this day I am amazed at the load CC is. And yup, it's insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.