newbee has question on classic bay 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffresources

Mar 3, 2014
sw missouri
I am on my 4th bag of pellets on my new insert and burning on medium, flame is good and puts out a lot of heat but:
The ash from burning is being deposited outside the burn pot in a ring about 2-3 inches wide. Very little is in the burn pot or pan when I empty.
Is this normal? It's not like its tons of ash or anything and I have been cleaning every 12-15 hours of burn time but just seems odd...is it me or the stove? Feed rate too high or what? I am using a bag about every 20 hours of burn time and according to what I read on the forum this is about normal for medium setting. It appears that if I waited for several bags to burn it could really be a mess.
Since I'm really new to this...any ideas would be appreciated.

It's normal to have some ash not fall into the ash pan. It's unsightly but not a problem unless it gets WAY out of hand. I typically clean out every 10 bags or so. What type of pellets are you burning? Different pellets produce more ash than others.

Maybe this is more typical of our Quads....I thought the same thing when I first got ours,but it is exactly how they work, most of the ash ends up around the burn pot...keep cleaning it regularly, at least once a week pull the panels inside and vacuum it out, enjoy the stove!!

If you cleaning it every 12 hours and your only burning 1 bag in 20 hours you won't see anything but what your seeing . I usually clean mine after about 6 bags. The ash will end up on both sides of the burn pot where the square depressions are, along the bottom edge of the glass and behind the burn pot under the feed chute. A couple times a day when the stove shuts down I'll pull the rod that dumps anything in the burn pot into the ash pan below.

I burn ember hearth pellets...seem to have very little ash for the amountof pellets burned...probably not more than 1/2 cup total for 4-5 bags burned.
Guess I will just have to quit the worry and enjoy.
Have burned almost no propane in the last week!!! The gas isnow $1.99/gal....bet we will never see$1.70 again!
Thanks guys...I think I made a wise choice thanks to the forum.

Let it burn and stop messing with it. Ive gone weeks without touching a thing on my classic bay not even the pullout handle.

No concern at all- prob the pellets. Some have heavier fly ash- is the ash a dark or black color?? Good combustion normally a tan or gray ash color. Sounds like she is doing just what she is supposed to, keeping things warm. Great stove there a real workhorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.