Newbie Alert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywyoming

Mar 6, 2015
Buffalo, WY
We are buying a new modular home, ranch style, 1600 sq ft this summer. The manufacturer only has one selection for a fireplace and it is an FMI. From reading some posts here I see a recurring theme where people are tearing out FMIs and replacing them with something else. I talked with a sweep who was recommended by the modular dealer and he also installs. He recommends a Regency R90.

We will use the fireplace mostly for ambiance, we think, but that could change to more supplemental heating in the future. The new house will be all electric as we are fed up with the price of propane for the mobile home we are living in now. What do you all think of the FMI in the first place and the Regency in the second??

Fmi make a wide range of fireplaces we would need a model to give you any info the regency is a good unit though

Take it for what it is worth from a guy who bought a flush insert for ambiance and supplemental heating source. Three years later if I could do it all over again I would go with a freestanding stove. Preferably ashoford 30 from blaze king or progress hybrid from woodstock. Wood heat is totally different kind of heat and it's very addicting.

I agree that wood heat can be addicting. especialy when you start to see the potential for low heating cost.

I get from your post that you may be interested in using the fireplace for more than ambience. If you have good access to cord wood then a free standing stove would give you the best bang for your buck. Ambience, efficiancy, and heat in a power outage.

Reactions: Hallibean6
Plan for the future now. It gets more expensive later,

bob

they don"t look like much of a heat producer .at 1600sqft and being new construction well insulated? you should see if you can work with contractor to install an medium sized insert still get ambiance and warmth

they don"t look like much of a heat producer .at 1600sqft and being new construction well insulated? you should see if you can work with contractor to install an medium sized insert still get ambiance and warmth
The regency is a good heater and no you cannot put an insert in there is no masonry fire place to put it in.

that sucks
Why a high efficiency zero clearance unit is every bit as good of a heater as an insert and will cost allot less than building a masonry fireplace just to slide an insert into it

I would defiantly get something that will heat your home. Once you start heating with electric you'll want the supplemental heat. Electric heat is not cheap either. Don't rule out a pellet burner unless you have access to free wood. If your buying it the cost is about break even. Investigate the pro's and con's of both wood and pellets. Good luck.

The Regency R90 fireplace should be a good improvement. Or, instead of a prefab fireplace consider putting in a freestanding stove. Maybe see if they will install the chimney at your predetermined location depending on the stove choice?

We are buying a new modular home, ranch style, 1600 sq ft this summer. The manufacturer only has one selection for a fireplace and it is an FMI. From reading some posts here I see a recurring theme where people are tearing out FMIs and replacing them with something else. I talked with a sweep who was recommended by the modular dealer and he also installs. He recommends a Regency R90.

We will use the fireplace mostly for ambiance, we think, but that could change to more supplemental heating in the future. The new house will be all electric as we are fed up with the price of propane for the mobile home we are living in now. What do you all think of the FMI in the first place and the Regency in the second??

I have the Regency FP90. It can be referred to as the R90 or the EX90 depending on the faceplate. It is a serious heater. My home is 3200 square feet on two floors. I can easily heat the entire first floor to 77 degrees during this miserable NJ winter. I would be happy to give you any details or reviews that may help.

I am not nagging r90 I just think that free standing stove would be much more cost effective. Just like begreen suggested have the builder install a chimney system for you, that's what I would do anyways.

When I built new the thinking was we need the ambiance of a fireplace. After looking at the stoves, it was clear you get a far better fireplace plus whole house heating. What a mistake the fireplace would have been. If you can't do the stove now, I'd plan the house design with it in the future, and skip the fireplace.

Wow, you guys are great.Can't believe all the fast input. We do not want a woodstove.Had two of them years ago and this time around we want the ambiance first. Propane and electric in our current old mobile home for, the last ten years, has averaged around 3,500 a year so with the high insulation and efficiency of the modular, our energy cost should be much more reasonable. Don't have a model number for the RMI. Won't have a problem getting wood as we are at the foot of the Big Horn mountains.

We have an older 2000 sqft modular ranch and it had a corner FMI fireplace in it. Propane is crazy so we took the fireplace totally out. New chimney, hearth, wall protection and put in an Englander 30. Open concept home and it keeps the temps any where from 72 to 76. Fireplace was nice to look at but not much for heat even with the blower.

Reactions: tarzan
This is not meant as a criticism of the R90 but since this will be a major investment and needs to last a long time, I suggest making sure you like the fireplace you will be installing. There are plenty of efficient, EPA-approved fireplaces around.I would look for a firebox size of 2.5 to 3 cu ft. That should easily heat 1600 sqft, especially when it is a new construction. Some brands/fireplaces to consider:

RSF (e. g. Onyx 2 or Focus 320)
Pacific Energy FP30
Kozyheat Z42
Flame Monaco/Osburn Stratford (borth are almost the same fireplace; a low budget option)
Superior fireplaces (http://superiorfireplaces.us.com/products/t/superior-wood-burning-fireplaces; look for the EPA-approved ones)
Heat n'Glo Northstar: http://www.heatnglo.com/Products/North-Star-Wood-Fireplace.aspx
Napoleon NZ3000
Valcourt FP12

Several of those can be ducted to heat far away rooms. Look also into the option of adding an outside air supply. That may be required for good draft in an airtight home.

You will need dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20%. If you really plan on burning wood next winter, get that cut and split ASAP. (It will also burn better with less smoke in a builder-grade firebox should you decide against an efficient unit.)

I am not nagging r90 I just think that free standing stove would be much more cost effective. Just like begreen suggested have the builder install a chimney system for you, that's what I would do anyways.

When we were planning our install we removed a cheap Majestic builders box in an existing chase. I had wanted a free standing stove but the boss said no b/c we have small children. So I actually agree with the other comments that a free standing stove is the way to go. However since you are saying that you want a fireplace and have mentioned the R90, I can give you a very positive review of the unit. The firebox is very similar to the Regency F2400 or i2400 (free standing stove or insert). It has a two piece baffle and 3 secondary burn tubes. It is designed to be loaded East/West. I have loaded it half full and achieved a 5-6 hour burn time. I haven't yet got the courage to pack her full. As an engineer myself, I was most impressed with Regency's construction and lifetime warranty. This thing is build like a tank, it weighed over 600 pounds when I installed it. I chose to go with the 8" Stainless Steel DuraPlus triple wall pipe. I have 18' straight up. It has a 6" diameter outside air supply and the draft is amazing, never a concern.

My only criticism of the unit is that I am not happy with the air wash. I burn 2 year seasoned wood and I still cannot keep the glass clean on low burns. I have to wipe the glass before every fire. It's not creosote but more of a fly ash that loves to stick to the glass. It's not that big of deal, but I'm trying to give you a very honest review.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. If you can get your hands on seasoned wood, I am very confident that it will heat your entire home and look great while doing so.

From my expirience any stove that is limited to E/W loading like mine is a NO GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.