Newbie first proper burn last night-WOW!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3696 said:
Most of the time I have secondary(Ghost Flames) for about 15 min or so then just the glowing hot embers. is this ok? should I always have flames coming off the wood?

You're getting what I'm getting so I sure hope that's ok! The rush of air going thru the secondary is something I thought would be louder based on the VC users calling it a "rumble", but it just sounds like a rush of air, sometimes louder than others.

The old VCs like the vigilants would growl or rumble pretty loud but only for a few minutes after you close the damper. I've haven't got my oakwood to do that.

One other thing to watch on the Oakwood that I forgot to mention.
The end irons loosen. Its just a single 3/8s bolt holding them in. No lock washer etc.
Just take a 1/2in wrench and tighten them up every now and again. I hit them with a poker to see if their tight. You don't want them getting too loose since the door glass isn't cheap.

Thanks for the feedback on the oakwood Has anyone had an issue with the two lower corners on the glass turning dark brown? the middle is clear. I get the stove up to about 500-550 before I close the damper I'm thinking that still is not hot enough?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.