Newbie greetings from Cental Mass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy P.

Dec 21, 2011
Central Mass.
I just wanted to shoot out a quick hello and thanks to everyone on here. I have been a lurker for a few months while i was researching the purchase and installation of a pellet stove in my 1900sf raised ranch. Everyone here has been an invaluable source of great information and i wanted to thank you all. We ended up buying a 4 year old Harman Advance with a bad igniter for $1700 on craigslist. I intstalled it this weekend using BioVent exhaust and OAK that i got from the local dealer. Pretty simple to install even for a guy as big and clumsy as me. I picked up 6 bags of NEWP, 6 bags of Logike/PWI, and 6 bags of Blazers for my trial run. Burned a couple bags of NEWP at start up with no issues and am now running the PWIs with no problems. Its 19 degrees outside right now but a nice toasty 74 in here and i dont plan to call the oil man until the spring (i hope). Once again thanks to everyone for all the great information! Andy

Enjoy the near zero temps tonight! BTW, they're going to ask for pictures or apparently it didn't happen...

Howdy. i moved from N Main in Millbury about a year and a half ago. Live in Holden now. I will try to work on some pics tonight when i get home

Just placed my first pellet order. Got 3 tons from Hubbards Farm in Princeton; one ton Barefoots, one ton Turmans, and one ton Ambiance, being delivered Saturday

Just a heads up: Based on my expereience, Ambiance is not the greatest pellet and you will want to save them for the shoulder season. Very ashey and lower than average heat output.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ambiance. I thought i read a test thread on here that said they were a decent pellet. Considering they were only saving me $25 a ton i wonder if i should modify my order and go with another ton of Barefoots or Turmans.

Andy P. said:
Thanks for the heads up on the Ambiance. I thought i read a test thread on here that said they were a decent pellet. Considering they were only saving me $25 a ton i wonder if i should modify my order and go with another ton of Barefoots or Turmans.
I would.

I don't know anything about Ambiance but I bought Barefoots and Turmans and am very happy with both of them. If it was me I'd trade up to another ton of Barefoots if they are the same price. The Turmans are great but the batch I got was pretty dusty, although I really wouldn't be dissatisfied with either.

Just a heads up. You should have your installation inspected by the town bldng inspector to protect your insurance coverage. Here in Princeton we need a certified building supervisor with a special venting classification to install and allow for a sign off. Just my $.02.

Welcome!!
Best forum on the web!
It is +8 here right now and a bit windy.
May get below zero before morning.
Pellets keeping the 1st floor at 76 and 2nd floor at 67.
Enjoy the heat!

ghandy131 said:
Just a heads up. You should have your installation inspected by the town bldng inspector to protect your insurance coverage. Here in Princeton we need a certified building supervisor with a special venting classification to install and allow for a sign off. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the heads up. Pulled permit last week and called for inspection on thursday. i wanted to see what she will do during this arctic blast so ill shut it down and clean up for the inspection on thurs

Welcome to the forum !!! Great info and plenty of great people willing to help, heckle, jest or all 3 at once :)

Those 3 tons are coming just in time. I tried several bags of Ambiance last year. Not a bad pellet, but not a great one either. Shoulder month stock for sure. At this point of the year and if we stay above normal, then you might get by with the Turmans and Barefoot then keep the Ambiance for spring. It's a gamble call. The name of the game for most here is saving money and flipping the bird to the oil companies.

Also, if you can, try and get a few bags of the Ambiance for trial prior to the delivery. I dont think the Advance will have an issue with them, but you never know. Always a good idea to try before buying bulk.

Definitely looking for some pics, or else it didn't happen.

Good luck and enjoy the heat !!!

gbreda said:
Welcome to the forum !!! Great info and plenty of great people willing to help, heckle, jest or all 3 at once :)

Those 3 tons are coming just in time. I tried several bags of Ambiance last year. Not a bad pellet, but not a great one either. Shoulder month stock for sure. At this point of the year and if we stay above normal, then you might get by with the Turmans and Barefoot then keep the Ambiance for spring. It's a gamble call. The name of the game for most here is saving money and flipping the bird to the oil companies.

Also, if you can, try and get a few bags of the Ambiance for trial prior to the delivery. I dont think the Advance will have an issue with them, but you never know. Always a good idea to try before buying bulk.

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice guys. I think im going to call the supplier tomorrow and bail on the Ambiance, its just not worth saving $25 to buy a ton and find out they suck and then im stuck with them

I grew up in that neck of the woods, but moved to the No Show years ago. Still miss the area sometimes. Welcome to the forum.

\

Andy P. said:
gbreda said:

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice guys. I think im going to call the supplier tomorrow and bail on the Ambiance, its just not worth saving $25 to buy a ton and find out they suck and then im stuck with them

They didnt really suck. I would have tried them as shoulder pellets if the price was right, but they were the same price as the Spruce Points last year and IMHO they definitely were not of equal quality. How much your 3 options? Can you try a few bags first?

Again, it is highly recommended to try before you buy. There are some pellets that you can almost bank on to be good, but those are generally the more expensive pellets.

This is a learning year for you. Use this years knowledge for next years stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.