Newbie Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drpfeiff32

Jan 2, 2011
IA
My mother just moved into house with a hearthstone woodburning stove. Anyway, the top piece inside the stove which apparently helps trap the heat in fell off and need to replace it. However I dont know what its called or where to even begin looking. Anyone know?

It was in the stove. My brother in law told me its possible made of espestis(sp?) and its suppose to keep the heat from escaping and also prevent the top part from cracking

drpfeiff32 said:
It was in the stove. My brother in law told me its possible made of espestis(sp?) and its suppose to keep the heat from escaping and also prevent the top part from cracking

The word would be "asbestos", but that's not necessarily what it is. You seriously need to post a picture. Someone on this forum will help you once we see it.

Sounds like the baffle board was broken. It happens, not asbestos, it's a ceramic or mineral fiber board. Perhaps it was from someone overloading the stove and bumping wood against it. Or it could have been cleaned poorly. They are a bit fragile. The local Hearthstone dealer should have a replacement board. Did your mom have the chimney checked and swept? If not, it should be and the sweep could install the new board.

The stove will still burn wood without the baffle, but shouldn't be used that way. It will be very inefficient (lots of wood for very little heat) and will produce creosote in the chimney, which is a significant fire hazard. Contact a local Hearthstone dealer or a knowledgeable chimney sweep (or even a knowledgeable neighbor).

I think BeGreen has it right; have a chimney sweep come and clean the chimney and also install the new board. You probably have to order the board yourself from a hearthstone dealer. I bet if you post a picture here someone can verify the precise name of the piece.

The next problem will be finding seasoned wood to burn. I would not expect the wood you buy now to be seasoned, so before you decide the stove doesn't work well, wait until you have well seasoned wood next winter. On order to have seasoned wood next winter, I'd consider buying a two year supply this winter and storing half of it for next year. Even better, get a three year supply and she'll have really great wood in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.