newbie King 5500m owner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Russell

Oct 8, 2012
Central - NY
Hello all, i recently bought a king 5500m and i am trying different pellets out. Have a few questions like
how do you other 5500m owners run their stoves, on auto all the time or have you come up with
a better manual settings?

Seems like i am getting alot of popcorning with the draft on auto, and i have turned the feed rate
down to 4.25, seems to have a more constant flame at those settings. As far as the popcorning
if i run the draft at 2 or 3 on manual it seems to really cut down on the pellets being tossed out of
the burn pot. Just wondering what others are doing as i try and figure this all out.

Thanks Mike

Welcome Mike, I'm sure someone who knows US stoves will be around shortly.

Ok so another dumb question being that i have never had a pellet stove before. I got the house
heated up last night and but the stove on heat range 1 and went to bed, it kept the house 70
all night long and it was near freezing last night. Does anyone know on a 5500 running on auto
does the feed rate change with the heat range, i would think it has to but i can not really tell from
just watching it burning.

At least i have not had to turn the furnace on yet.

Yes your feed rate will increase as the heat range is increased. If you can find a manual you might be able to finder the numbers and amount of fuel you will roughly use in each setting.

yea it does not say, or i have missed it the few times i have read it. Only reason why i wondered
is that if i go into any heat rate and then manually change the feed rate it always shows the same
feed rate regardless of the heat range selected. Guess i would have assumed it would reflect
a slower feed rate on each different heat setting.

yea it does not say, or i have missed it the few times i have read it. Only reason why i wondered
is that if i go into any heat rate and then manually change the feed rate it always shows the same
feed rate regardless of the heat range selected. Guess i would have assumed it would reflect
a slower feed rate on each different heat setting.
there is a low feed rate for heat range one and high feed rate for heat range five and the computer chips vary it for the range in between

Not the norm by any means, but here is what I did.

I made an on-off thermostat for ours since we are gone a lot and there is such a wide variation of temps here. The house seems to be very efficient and HR1 would cook us out. I haven't got to tinkering with feed rates yet, but so far this is working really well. Had one warm day but most days in the 40s and nights below freezing. Have used about 2 bags in over a week. The stat has a swing of nearly 5 degrees but when she is home she runs it up to the 70s in the day then turns it down to 60 I think and it doesn't come on again till after bedtime, which minimizes cycling. A programmable would have been more work electrically but is still doable, and would probably give more unmanned adjustment of on-off times and swing. Curious to see how long the ignitor lasts, but I have seen sources for replacements a fraction of the typical $60 cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.