Newbie Learning Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caldonia Sun

Dec 14, 2017
central PA
Hello,

I only started burning wood last year, so very new to this. I have a very old Fisher Papa Bear, bought refurbished, that I love.

I recently had my chimney professionally cleaned and there was minor creosote build up. It was suggested that a new SS liner be installed next year with the end of season cleaning. In the meantime, where my pipe goes up into the damper plate (right terminology??) there is a space that I can feel old insulation that has creosote on/through it. Air is coming down the chimney and bringing the nasty smell into my family room.

During cleaning, should that damper plate have been removed to get out all the old insulation? If so, do you put rockwool in there?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am confused!!!

Thanks for reading/answering.

CS

Sounds like someone in the past may have just packed fiberglass around a stub of stove pipe or liner? Is there just a short pipe going up past the damper area, but no block-off plate surrounding it? Pictures are welcome so that we can see what you are seeing.

The pipe comes out from the back of the stove about 15" then 90 degrees up through the damper plate and into the liner.

Should I replace that fiberglass?

Hello,

I only started burning wood last year, so very new to this. I have a very old Fisher Papa Bear, bought refurbished, that I love.

I recently had my chimney professionally cleaned and there was minor creosote build up. It was suggested that a new SS liner be installed next year with the end of season cleaning. In the meantime, where my pipe goes up into the damper plate (right terminology??) there is a space that I can feel old insulation that has creosote on/through it. Air is coming down the chimney and bringing the nasty smell into my family room.

During cleaning, should that damper plate have been removed to get out all the old insulation? If so, do you put rockwool in there?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am confused!!!

Thanks for reading/answering.

CS
Is the stove just running through the damper of a fireplace into the fireplaces clay liner? If so You need a liner now not at the end of the heating season. The way you are running yours is dangerous.

Whew! Not sure how to answer this. There is a steel pipe that goes about 6 ft. up into the terra cotta liner, but it doesn't go all the way up the chimney.

The pipe comes out from the back of the stove about 15" then 90 degrees up through the damper plate and into the liner.

Should I replace that fiberglass?
In the least yes, but it should be done better with a full liner, then packed with rockwool in the damper area. The chimney needs to be completely clean including the smokeshelf before the ss liner is installed.

Whew! Not sure how to answer this. There is a steel pipe that goes about 6 ft. up into the terra cotta liner, but it doesn't go all the way up the chimney.
So no block-off plate in the damper area? That's not good. Flue gases could reverse as the fire and flue cool down.

Well that is better than just run into the smokechamber but still not great.

If you are not going to do a full liner then at least remove all the old fiberglass and vacuum up any soot, then stuff rockwool around the 6' stove pipe stub. A damper area sealing plate will help keep the rockwool and rockwool dust in place as well as improve the seal. That should stop the smell and it will keep more heat in the house from the stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed-block-off-plate-install/

Is there a cap on the top of the chimney?