No. 125 woodstove in shed, need damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

embe747

Nov 27, 2023
ontario
Installed this old stove with newer pipes in my shed. I was expecting a lot more heat to be radiated. I'm thinking the heat is going straight up the insulated chimney pipe. it's a straight shot with no damper. Going through my stash of seasoned maple quick. Would a damper help regulate? I'm pretty new to woodstoves (don't mind the clutter it's been cleaned up).

20231127_134459.jpg

Yes, these stoves typically need a stovepipe damper. Normally the chimney pipe stops at the chimney support box and just stove
pipe then down to the stove. The damper goes in the stovepipe.

Reactions: jaoneill
I figured as much but had a bunch of the insulated chimeny pipe on hand. I've since installed a steel baffle inside the stove to give the hot air some more "dwell time", lined the stove with fire brick, and an external fan to blow some of the hot air around. It's getting better

Eventually I'll move it back to the corner and use stove pipe with a couple elbows up to the insulated chimney pipe. That increased surface area and elbows is bound to radiate more heat rather than straight up.

I imagine most "thru the wall" chimeny would have this same type of efficiency loss? Where most of the hot air just goes straight out the exhaust?

Eventually I'll move it back to the corner and use stove pipe with a couple elbows up to the insulated chimney pipe. That increased surface area and elbows is bound to radiate more heat rather than straight up.
If single wall stove pipe is used, it has 18" clearance reuqirement but more importantly, the stove has a 36" clearnance requirement in all directions. This can be reduced to 12" with a proper, ventilated, NFPA 211 wall shield.

If the heat loss from the stovepipe is too substantial, creosote buildup can occur in the chimney pipe. This will be more likely with an exterior chimney.

Installed this old stove with newer pipes in my shed. I was expecting a lot more heat to be radiated. I'm thinking the heat is going straight up the insulated chimney pipe. it's a straight shot with no damper. Going through my stash of seasoned maple quick. Would a damper help regulate? I'm pretty new to woodstoves (don't mind the clutter it's been cleaned up).

View attachment 319623
Add a few lengths of stove pipe and install the damper at head height or slightly above. You'll get nearly as much heat off the stove pipe as you do the stove itself.

Not much luck trying to find 5" or even 6" stove pipe locally. Closest is 5" galvanized 30 gauge duct pipe...which from my meager research sounds like it's going to be too thin if the zinc fumes don't kill everything first
..need to keep searching

Try the local hardware stores. Order the stovepipe online if none available locally.