Newbie:LP, wood or pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about the fuel. There are some positives too but none are better than gas.

If your cost for gas is similar per btu to pellets then always get the gas stove.
So I think you answered it.
Cheaper than gas.
And just because your cost per BTU of gas is the same NOW, doesn't mean it will be in 10, 20 years or whatever the life of that investment ends up being. (think population growth, maturing Asian economies, national costs to secure gases)...

Want to make sure you have heat in 40 years? Go plant a tree.

So I think you answered it.
Cheaper than gas.
And just because your cost per BTU of gas is the same NOW, doesn't mean it will be in 10, 20 years or whatever the life of that investment ends up being. (think population growth, maturing Asian economies, national costs to secure gases)...

Want to make sure you have heat in 40 years? Go plant a tree.

Your argument has very little applicability here. First, the average home owner moves every seven years. Second, nobody knows the future cost of any fuel but all future costs are dependent on fossil fuel costs to some extent.Lastly, I am more worried about the pollution freaks limiting wood burning than I am about the cost of fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.