Newbie, need help with wood insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reiserrob2003

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
Eastern MA
Hope I'm in the right place. I'm installing a new wood stove insert in the basement fireplace in my raised ranch home in the coming weeks. I'm doing this because i've always wanted one and am tired of getting ripped off by the gas company every winter. I have a ceiling fan mounted in the foyer between the two sets of stairs going to the living area upstairs. My question is this, in addition to leaving the basement door opened with the fan going to move warm air upstairs, i would like to install a floor register through the ceiling into the living room floor with a fan in between to help move more air upstairs. A relative of mine has the same thing at her house and she said she made it herself a number of years ago to help heat the upstairs. Is this something i can buy today as a complete product or does it still need to be put together from seperate parts? any help would be appreciated, and if you have any pictures of yours, that would be great too. I have seen some booster fan registers but they are only one sided, maybe something along those lines would work?

IMHO, you'd be better off installing cold air return registers in a couple of
the rooms upstairs. You already have the foyer to get heat up,
but you may find that the warm air will only go so far, because
the cold air has nowhere to go.
The outer walls of a house are colder than inner walls & floors.
I'd cut some holes thru the floors (& ceilings below) & install registers there.
You can find them in most heating places as well as Cheapo Depot.
A grill goes on the top & bottom (floor & ceiling), & there is a rectangular
sheet metal duct that connects them. They don't look awfully bad after
they're installed, & they're designed to fit between the floor/ ceiling joists...
If you attempt to install a BIG hole in your floor/ceiling, you're going to
have some serious framing issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.