Newbie needs help with Timberwolf 2200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgbills

Feb 3, 2011
IN
First of all thanks for any help and I am looking forward to gaining knowledge from this forum and its members sum of experience. We are getting a new house and plan to put a wood burning stove in it. It will be centrally located right near the master and the other two bed rooms. The pipe will run through the highest point in the 14ft vaulted ceiling. The heating area will be a little less than 1600sqf. There are a few things features that are most important to me. First it has to have a burn time of at least 8 hrs and would even prefer more. It seems that standard clearance from the back is 12in, but would like to get a model with a little less if possible. Also we would like at least a 50,000 btu rating. Last I would like for it to be around the $1k mark with stand. A local fire place store is recommending the Timberwolf 2200 and sells them for $890. What do you think of this stove? Is this a fair price? What stove with these features and price point would you recommend? Any input is great.

Don't know anything about the TW 2200.
Several should heat that area OK. Many may be low in btu for what you're after, over 50k btu narrows the list quit a bit though..
Long burn times are nice.
Catalytic ** Non-Cat ?
Here is a link to several stoves with some specs.
http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf
1st Step:Get some wood now, so it is ready for next winter! (won't be the last time you here this on this site)

You'll probably get more responses if you change the title of your thread to include "Timberwolf 2200".

I have been doing some looking and the Vogelzang "The Performer" seems to have a better burn time, 12 as apposed to 8, for about the same price as the timberwolf. Also the stand and blower is included. The only thing is the side clearance is a little higher, but for where I am putting it I am more worried about the rear clearance, which is the same as the Timberwolf, 12 in.

Beware of sales literature. Advertised burn times, sq ftg heated, etc. are marketing items that don't necessarily reflect real world experience.

I am currently heating a 1400 sf house w/ 14' vaulted ceilings with a Napoleon 1100. They also make the Timberline series. It has a 1.7 sf firebox delivering 55,000 BTUs. I use it as a supplemental heat source and like it a lot. If I were to have a stove as my primary heat source I would only use this stove as a minimum, and only with a blower. The Napoleon 1400 has a larger firebox (2.25 sf) with 70,000 BTUs. I wish I had a bigger stove, preferably one made of cast iron to give more radiant heat into the larger space.

The Timberline series is reasonably priced and if you pay a few hundred more, it's worth it. Once the stove is installed you'll forget all about how much you paid. Also, you may want a deeper firebox to load N-S w/out any hassles.

So, if I had to choose over, I'd go with the bigger stove. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Make sure you have fans for air circulation because all that hot air is gonna hang high in the ceiling and it don't wanna come down. I'm lucky I have a lot of ceiling fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.