Newbie pellet stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeffz95

Nov 21, 2019
Kiowa, colorado
Brought home from Cali. To Colorado my parents 1993 Winfield pellet stove. We are converting part of our 3 car garage into a game room and need heat in our snowy winters. I ran 4” vent increased from 3” at stove outlet to outside air with a kit I purchased at Big R. I have tested it about 2 hrs at a time and seems to work good but I have a few ?’s. How am I sure the vent is working correct ? Also it does not have a auto igniter so I start a little fire in box, I checked out YouTube and one showed using lighter fluid which caused a horrible smell of fluid and did not go away while burning. I just tried last night starter blocks which were much better. Sorry for long thread just want to make sure I am using it correctly and safely. Thx

I use a propane torch to start the fire if needed.

Reactions: Pellet rick
Hand-held propane torch. I sweep it across the pellets in the burn pot until I get a good flame (maybe about a minute).
I then close the door leaving about a 1" opening for about another minute. That draws most of the combustion air through the burn pot and really gets the pellets going. Shut the door and let the stove do its thing. Has never failed.

Hand sanitizer and it protects you to lol

Great help, thanks.
Another ? there is a grate on top that is removable directly over the fire below if grate removed its only above an inch deep solid metal. what is that for ?