Newbie question about soapstone.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vrojkov

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
central CT
I do have Scan 60 wood stove (2 years already).
Just found that I can order a soapstone approximately 25x11x2 around $100 delivered.
How I can benefit if I will install this soapstone on the top surface of my stove?
For how long soapstone will extend heating period?

P.S. It looks like Scan is not very popular. So, who else has or had before
Scan 60/61 stove ?

For $100, I'd sure give it a try. It will definitely give you some longer heat life.

I'm not sure why Scan isn't more popular here. I really wanted an Anderson 10 but went with the Morso due to the deal I got. They make a beautiful stove!

A can't remember who, but in past, someone went through the thermal mass calculations and determined that a 100 pounds here or there isn't going to add up to a heck of alot. Something like the equivalent output of the stove for 15 min. (but don't quote me.)

It will be really interesting to calculate soapstone vs 1 face cord of seasoned oak ($100).
One more aspect here , It will make a big difference if soapstone would keep my house warm for an extra hour at night.
Normally I am getting about 6 hours heating from my Scan after last load at night.

I doubt you will get an extra hour of usable heat but the sides of my stove are probably only 2" thick and I am just down to a few coals in the morning but the stone is still too hot to put your hand on for more than a second so it has got to be doing something!

Status
Not open for further replies.