Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koda038

Oct 25, 2013
NH
I aplogize up front if these have been answered before. I have spent quite a bit of time lurking and researching and convincing the Mrs (hard part) and now we have the pellet stove; England Stove Works 55-SHP-10. I have not hooked up yet as I am now researching venting options.

It will be in first floor on an outside wall so no issue there. Exterior clearance issue is I have an oil filler and vent nearby. Fire department researched and found five foot requirement. All prior research through pellet vent manufacturers only showed three foot in Canada. Apparently in codes for oil tanks through it has five foot. No big deal I as I know I need vertical rise of at least three feet anyways which will get me there. Basically it means straight out is no go.

Interior is the problem. It is minor but I was looking for feedback on my options and opinions on aesthetics (I know beauty is in the eye of the beer holder). The wall has a forced hot water baseboard along the wall where the stove sits. So I will have to be above that if I go straight out the back. From what I can tell, the pipe will clear with some to spare for clearance barely; thimble no so luck. It is sitting on a stove board pad.

So here we go:

Option 1: Build a raised hearth (enough to get the thimble over the baseboard) and go out then up. Not sure how Mrs. will like the raised hearth look. No interior pipe and closer to the wall so less of interior pipe is visible and leak. I saw a couple photos in the gallery of installs stright out over a baseboard but could not see the thimble. Another disadvantage is that down the road a new stove could mean a different exhaust height and there is no flexibility.

Also I think straight out will preclude Selkirk direct temp as termination would be too cloase to oil filler and vetn. Although other kits with outside air coming in around the thimble are options.

Option 2 Up and out. No clearance issues excpet now stove is further into living room and more pipe (tees etc) will be visible (not an issue if we get black pipe). A different stove exhaust height would just mean changing a piece of vertical pipe. Disadvantage more pipe in house that might leak and requires sealing with visible method like tape.

Option 2A-out to tee, up to 90 elbow (or short vertical pipe then 90), through wall to another tee, and then up. Seems like too many corners for a clean install or easy cleaning but saves wall space above stove and no visible pipe/sealant.

Questions about option 2

3" or 4": I read someone had the opinion 4" is more aesthetically pleasing if I go up and out being visible.

Selkirk direct vent pellet vent set up: I like the idea of moving air around exterior of exhaust pipe. More cooling of the exhaust prior to the thimble and warming of combustion air. However in an up and out system, that would mean further into living room as the pipe is 6" in diameter versus 3" or 4". Also is there a danger of cooling the exhaust too low? I saw several say it is a good system for "short" runs. I read on a corn stove forum about problems if the exhaust is too cool but wondered if that was not an issue with wood pellets. I also did not see if Selkirk has an adapter tee to keep things a little closer to the wall. It seems to me a leak in the internal pipe would be handled nicely by moving external air. Also 6" diameter looks like woodstove pipe.

Typically how far from the wall are is a stove with an up and out set-up? I would like to set the stove there to see how it looks.

Sorry for the long post.

I like option #1. Raised hearth looks OK if done well. Straight out usually doesnt work well in my experience, so you want some vertical rise outside....3 feet or so. Makes for a natural draw that helps in case of a power outage. Are you planning on an OAK? Probably a good idea.

I like option #1. Raised hearth looks OK if done well. Straight out usually doesnt work well in my experience, so you want some vertical rise outside....3 feet or so. Makes for a natural draw that helps in case of a power outage. Are you planning on an OAK? Probably a good idea.

I found I measured wrong and could go straight out and up if thimble wasn't too big. However SWMBO is now insisting on up (inside) and out. So I am at option 2 considering selkrik direct vent and wondering about issues with exhaust getting too cold.

Yes I was planning on OAK no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.