Newbie, questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
Getting older and thinking of going from pellets to gas. My home is one level, mostly open. Stove would be in center of kitchen/living area. Vent into chimney whose current use is for the pellet stove. Full basement with great access to everything. Home is tight.

Live in Southern NH, Keene area. Have talked with one full service dealer. Whatever I decide will be installed by professionals.

As I investigate I see some old names that ring a bell and lots of new ones. But there is a lot of lingo as I read I do not understand. BV? DV? IPI? GF?

Investigated Jøtul, Vermont Castings and Lopi sites. They all have some type of new efficient burner, new designs, new awards, etc.

Now I know enough from the pellet side of this forum not to ask what is the best but do you have any advice. What should I look for, anyone a definite no, any one thing critical, etc.

Thanks so much for your help. I am going back to reading the forum q & a.

I assume that you are talking about a sealed unit correct? If so I would look for the highest efficiency, greatest BTU unit you can find.