1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

NEWBIE WITH A GREENWOOD 200 UP NORTH - HELLO

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by DKerley, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixroses

sixroses Member

Loc:
    alaska
    24/7 thats right! I think in the long run the tank will help but it is a work in progress. I am still searching info about proper sizes, style of insulation ,heat exchangers and the like. Right now I just have a poly tank inside a steele cage, wrapped in a foot of insulation. I dump water directly from the stove then pull off the bottom of the tank. I'm sure that I am siphoning the cooler water from the tank so I think I can improve efficeincy as I figure a better way to do it.
    I will try and get a picture of those pipes for you if I can make my camera and computer commnicate.

Steve

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

TFF

I have been running my aquastat at 190 since two Sundays ago when we had a minor cold snap. In my un-scientific observation, that setting worked fine even when it was 39 out the other day. I guess my oil-fired Viessmann has spoiled me . . . I am determined to develop 'outside control' for my GW also.

Ice coming down here in NY

Jimbo
  3. tigermaple

tigermaple Member

Loc:
    Fingerlakes, NY
    Doug,
    I turned the water temp up to compensate for heat loss in the transfer lines and plate exchanger. The system reacts quicker and burns very clean. If I'm using more wood, it is such a small amount. I can't notice it. I'm sorry to hear you having to tear down your system, that looks like a b*tch. I have been wondering myself how to clean the pipe behind the refractory. After xmas I burned a lot of paper and cardboard and the tubes got pretty covered in fluffy ash but compressed air removed it (and put it on me). Let us know how it goes.
    Pat
  4. tigermaple

tigermaple Member

Loc:
    Fingerlakes, NY
    Jimbo,

Yeah, looks like ice, snow, sleet, rain and wind. I guess that's why I'm home with the kids today.
    What do you mean by "outside control"?
    Pat
  5. henfruit

henfruit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Hampshire-Maine border
    a small sand blaster is the way to get them clean. snow due here today 2-4 then ice rain and more snow a real f mess to deal with, o well isnt that why we live in the northeast.
  6. mouchey

mouchey New Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    What made you choose this unit and how did you make the draft better? Thanks MJ
  7. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    This is not true. Although it's uncommon now, baseboard can and will handle steam temps of 215*+ if the system is designed for it. You'll get about 20% more btu/lineal ft at that temp as opposed to 180*. Check out any BB manufacturers website and they will have temps listed to over 200* at least. The hotter is is the more heat it produces. Anything else would contradict the laws of thermodynamics and that paadna', does not work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.