Newbie with a Jotul F 45...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperKing

Apr 18, 2016
Pennsy
Hello all, I'm new here. I'm also quite new to wood stoves.

I had a Jotul F 45 Greenville installed by a certified local company back in the beginning of February. The stove is great, loving every minute of it!

However, I have a question I have not found an answer to just yet...

After using the stove, particularly after an overnight burn, I notice little reflective strands and/or minuscule shards perhaps a centimeter or less in length on the surface of the stove. Usually around and above the door.

In the morning light, when I first open the door after an overnight burn to shovel ash and rake the remaining coals forward, I can see these small reflective strands exit the stove. It isn't a plume of them, just a few glinting in the sunlight coming through the window.

What are they? Are they from the door gasket material? Some other such material in the stove? Are they hazardous?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: CASEMAN2011
Hmmmm....

I'm getting a lot of down-drafting, odors, and smoke spillage. I know my set-up isn't ideal, and was wondering if anyone else with a similar set-up experiences these problems. How did you guys remedy the situation?

Here it is:

20160315_153837.jpg 20160315_154250.jpg

Also, I've narrowed those "reflective strands" I mentioned in the original post down to being shed by either the ceramic fiber blanket in the top of the stove or the door gasket.

Could be the outside chimney is not tall enough, combined with milder temps = weak draft.

Thanks for the reply.

A lot of what I've been reading online indicates to this being a completely ill-advised set-up. Stove is on an outside wall with the chimney not in the heated space, it has elbows and a "T" that restricts airflow, it's in a one-story room while the rest of the house is two stories, etc.

But with the layout of my house and the building/mechanical codes of my township, this is the only place it could go.

I'm wondering now if there are ways to overcome these issues.

Building codes did not allow the chimney to go straight up through the ceiling?

What 10ft clearance? Do you mean the 10-3-2 rule? In that case the chimney just needs to go a little higher until it's 2ft higher than the nearest roofline ten feet away. This was the case with our installation.

10-3-2 rule.JPG Stove Install 012.jpg

Reactions: SuperKing
I'm sorry, I misspoke. If it were to go straight up through the roof, it'd be too close to the windows on the second story.

At least, that's what the company that installed it told me.

Atleast take the one 90 deg bend out and replace it with (2) 45 deg pipes

I'm sorry, I misspoke. If it were to go straight up through the roof, it'd be too close to the windows on the second story.

At least, that's what the company that installed it told me.
That still doesn't sound correct. The chimney pipe can be within 2" of combustibles. Going through a second floor means the chimney would need to be chased (boxed in) but can be done.

The room the stove is in is a one-story attached garage that I converted into living space. The rest of the house is two stories. If the chimney goes straight up through the roof of the one-story space, it will be practically right outside of the windows to one of the bedrooms on the second story of the main house.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Ok, looks can be deceiving and the picture doesn't show the 2nd story. I was thinking if the stove pipe went straight up it would only be about 2-3 feet closer than it is on the exterior. If the second story is within 10 ft then the chimney would have had to go up to 2' above the second story roofline.

Best thing you can do now is try to soften the 90º elbow and maybe add another length of pipe and a second brace.

Reactions: SuperKing
Status
Not open for further replies.