Newbie with stove purchase in mind, want opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudos

Aug 11, 2009
Central Alberta
Hello all,

I'm fairly green when it comes to wood stoves. I am in the process of having a cabin built. Main floor has 924 sq ft and a 10 x 16 open loft for a total of 1084 sq feet.

I'm trying to find a reasonably price stove to fit my smallish budget. I also want one that meets, not exceeds my needs. I won't be burning 24/7, our cabin is more of a weekend getaway and will be used in much the same manner in winter.

I am considering the Regent F2400 classic black with pedestal. I found it here in Edmonton fr $1,200.

Any advice or suggestion on this or any other stove is appreciated. Also, is $1,200 a decent price for this stove?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Cudos

Englander 13nc from one of the box stores? That might be your best bang for the $, especially if you can find a leftover/clearance stove.

Thanks Pyro, what kind of burn time could I expect from that stove, Also what big box stores in Canada sell that? Can't say I've seen one at Home depot or Rona.

Thanks

I have not used that stove, so I can't give you a decent number for a burn time. It's rated for 1500 sf, so I suspect a 6 to 8 hour burn is possible... but I'm guessing. Do a search here for more info on that stove. I don't know anything about the stoves sold in the big box stores in Canada, sorry I didn't notice your location. I would assume Englander/Summers Heat stoves are sold there just as they are in the US, but again you'll have to check. If so, this is probably the best stove for your money.

If you want to look at an Englander stove Canadian Tire sells them in season. You might also look at Drolet stoves that are comparable. The Regency will do you a good job and the 2400 might even be overkill for your needs but that looks like a good price if it is USD.

Thanks Bortherbart

I saw a Timber Ridge line at Canadian tire. I also saw this , no name epa stove for $899.00. I've pasted the URL , any idea what brand this may be. Looks like a no namer but doesn't look bad.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...tioning/WoodStoves/PRD~0642819P/EPA+Stove.jsp

Also, the Regent F2400 was $1,200 Canadian dollars.

Another question regarding the piping/venting required. Canadian Tire seems to sell all the required venting. Is there any reason not to buy from them. The dealer who quoted me $1,200 for the regent f2400 said I'd be looking at about $1,000 for the required materials to install.

Thanks

That 2400 is a pretty reputable stove and a nice pick. With a 2.3 cu ft firebox and your sqft requirements, I would guess a 6-8 hr burn time as well. Also think about when you walk into that cold cabin. Its gonna need a little extra firepower to bring it up to temp, yet be able to tune it down for the long haul once you get there. I am guessing you have the sizing pretty close to right on.

Edit: Rough numbers of a thousand bucks for pipe seems pretty standard for a "normal" install.

Timber Ridge is the Englander stove. That is just a second name they sell through some stores. It is the exact same stove. The other one is a Century Heat, formerly know as Century Hearth stove. CFM Corporation made them before they were sold off in pieces in bankruptcy last year. Another company apparently has started making them again but details are sketchy. Lots of people have the ones made by CFM and like them. I have an Englander and like it. Between the two I would go with the Englander/Timber Ridge just on the basis on known good manufacturer support.

The Regency is a larger stove and may be more heat than you are looking for but it will have longer burn times also with the 2.2 cf firebox.

The loft is 10 x 16. It has one window which will open.

Thanks for the input everyone. I like the idea of saving $500.00 and going with the Timberidge/Englander but I'm a little concerned about the small 1.8 cf box.

I'm still wondering as well about buying all the piping and venting from Canadian Tire. They seem to have all the required components. Is the quality there I'm wondering? would there be a noticeable difference in quality between CT and a wood stove dealer. I mean $1,000 for required piping seems very high to me?

Thanks

Oh, don't underestimate the power of that little NC13 (or any of its twin brothers). They are fine machines that would handle your heat load. My concern would be a cold startup on a darn cold Canadian morning when you pull in on Sat. A.M. I am sure it would do it, but not sure how fast.

On the pipe run...assuming that you are going double wall from stove to sunlight, through the vaulted ceiling....I am guessing you will find yourself in the ~$1000 range +/- a few bean pods.

I was basing the size of the stove off your first post...

I’m trying to find a reasonably price stove to fit my smallish budget. I also want one that meets, not exceeds my needs. I won’t be burning 24/7, our cabin is more of a weekend getaway and will be used in much the same manner in winter.

The 13 fits those requirements. If you're really concerned about it, you could step up to the 30 for little more money, and it certainly would extend your burns and give excess capacity, but it might be overkill. Then again, since you're pretty far north, the 30 might be okay, especially given your loft. What are you doing for windows and insulation?

BB has a 30, so maybe he could tell you how it might fit your needs...

Pipe pricing sounds about right to me too.

1000 sqft + NC30 = roasted chestnuts.

That puppy is gonna keep your sidewalk clean on the outside of the cabin. (3.5 cu ft firebox).

Yes the NC30 does seem like to much. Buut, my cabin is facing NW across the lake with little to no protection. I have a lot of glass in the front as well. The glass is triple glaze. My insulation is R20. This is a full spruce timberframe cabin.

So the NC30 which is just about $1100 may be too much. The NC13 while I love the price may or may not be too small. And the Regency f2400 seems perfect but more dough at $1200.

Oh man decisions decisions. Also some keep referring to the timber ridge 1800 as the englander nc13. How can you tell that they are the same for sure? is it just by looks?

This is great site by the way, thank you all.

Ok I see now that indeed they are the same, just went to the Englander site. I think I'm going to go with the Regency F2400 for $500.00 more than the NC13. Just for piece of mind. I'd rather be too warm than too cold. Also the initial warm up time and overnight burn were a factor too. Its only $100.00 more than the NC30 and the 2.3 cf box seems just right. The Regency name is also a good one from what I can gather.

I expect to spend lots of time here in the coming months LOL. If anyone feels my choice is not a good one feel free to express yourselves.

Thanks again.

Dude, you live in the home of our dreaded Alberta Clipper! ;-)

Make sure you get it big enough!!

wendell said:
Dude, you live in the home of our dreaded Alberta Clipper! ;-)

Make sure you get it big enough!!

:lol: true enough, and with my cabin facing north west I appear to be staring directly in to it.
I have narrowed it down to the Regency F2400. I think it should provide me with decent heat without being over the top. I stil have some time to buy but so far thats the front runner.

Cheers

Go for the Regency or comparably sized stove and be happy. Pacific Energy, Drolet, or Napoleon might be worth comparing, but if you like the dealer and have few local options, just do it.

You said this will be a weekend place. Will this be a weekend during the winter? A stove that is sized to meet, but not exceed your needs may keep the place at a set temp, but be slow at heating it up in the winter if you are coming into a very cold cabin.

I have a little propane heater in the family cabin that will hold a temp in the winter... if there isn't much wind. It also takes a while to get the cabin to temperature... like a day. If I had 10 or 15K more btu I would be able to heat the cabin in a more reasonable amount of time and be able to hold it when the wind came up.

Matt

Thanks guys, yes it will more of a weekend place, in winter as well, and as I said I'm just off the lake facing directly in to a north westerly wind. A cold Alberta winter wind.

One more question for the experts. Would a Drolet with a 2.3 cf box be of the same quality as a Regency with a 2.3 cf box? Are all of these stoves pretty much the same as far as quality goes. Sorta like hot water heaters? If I can save $300.00 on a stove of the same size should I go that way or does name brand and quality matter.

Thanks

Keep service/dealers in mind when purchasing, but the reality is, if you buy a quality stove it should give you years of service before you start needing parts. Look at the overall design and build of the unit. Pay attention to the operational controls. Keep it simple.

Edit: hey, 300 bucks is 300 bucks, but if you look at it over the life time of the unit, it ain't gonna add up to a cup of starbucks once a week.

Good point Jags on the years of service vs saving a couple hundred. As far as finding a reputable dealer that will provide good service if and when I need it thats a little harder. I mean, if you've never dealt with anyone before how do you know who's good and who's not. I guess checking the BBB might be a start. I really don't know anyone with a wood stove so no help there.

I guess I'll have to go buy gut feel and ask a lot of questions before buying.

Cheers

Have they been in business 2 years or 20?? Talk to the folks, one can usually get a pretty accurate impression in short order.

Well it appears I may now have a change of plans. I was intending to go with the Regency F2400, but after I priced out the stove. piping and labor for a qualified installer to install on my 12/12 pitch metal roof it was going to cost me $3700.00. This was going with their installer.

So I did some checking around and located and talked to a very knowledgeable wett certified installer who offered a savings on install providing he supply the piping and stove. The stove is a Pacific Energy super27. Its basically identical to the Regency f2400 as far a size goes. So, a complete package install with this guy is $3400.00. A whole $300.00 bucks cheaper even though the stove is $1400.00 through him which is $125.00 more than the Regency.

I did get a really good feeling from this guy as far answering all my questions and his experience. So now, what about this Pacific Energy Stove Super 27, any opinions on how it rates compared to the Regency? or is it a wash.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.