• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Drum

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2009
Saco, Maine
Hi all, great site. I've lurking here for a while and decided I should join. I installed a new Leyden PS back in August. It's been running great except it doesn't like to run on the lowest setting. Sometimes it will go out. My house is well insulated and once I reach temp the lowest settings will maintain it when it's around 20 - 30 degrees outside. I have tried adding air and restricting air. I am guessing the feed rate is just slightly less than the burn rate on low for me? Anyone else with a Leyden notice this. Works excellent in mid and high settings, I just can't leave it there, too warm. Can only the dealer adjust feed rates?
Mike -

Dr_
Did you install the OAK as well? I too have the Leyden, I have not had any issues with it going out on low. I have snuffed it out once or twice while filling the hopper though... If you do not have the OAK, it may make the difference.

Marc

Thanks for the response. No I currently do not have the OAK installed. I realize the OAK may have benefits and I will probably install one, but I have a hard time believing it's an issue with available air. The stove runs great on all other settings, plenty of combustion air. It even runs o.k. on the lowest setting for a while (hour or 2), then just seems like the pellets aren't supplied fast enough. If anything, maybe I have too much air on at the lowest setting and I'm burning the pellets faster than they are fed? I read that Pennington Pellets aren't the greatest. Maybe that has something to do with this?

Thanks, Mike -

Be sure you THROUGHLY clean your stove ... use a leafblower or shop vac to clean the stove thru your vent. It will need this after every ton or so... do a search on how to do it. A clean stove is a happy stove.

If you have to fiddle with your damper and need more air to keep the fire going you have a dirty stove.

Thanks, I did clean the vent and did a complete "yearly" maintenance cleanup per manufacturers instructions, but I've only burned maybe 40-50 bags. It doesn't go out immediately, it takes at least an hour or more after selecting the lowest setting. It's not even consistent when it goes out (maybe 2, 3, or 4 hours). I don't trust it to stay running. It's gone out a few times overnight and the oil heat turns on at 65 degrees. It's not that big of a deal, just thought I'd see if any other Leyden's have had this issue.

I need to try some other pellets, maybe mine have some moisture?
Thanks, Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.