Newly painted stove getting grey areas??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Painted my Defiant as part of an overhaul/rebuild. Used a stove paint from a home center after wire brushing the surface. It took well and seemed to cure fine, however after burning for a month, there are primer gray colored patches in spots where the heat is highest; doors and side where the exhaust is routed. Just poor paint? The stove has not been overfired at all. Ran the stove all year last year with no similar affects.

You might have gotten stove paint that wasn't rated for high enough temperatures. I think there are some Hi-Temp paints out there only rated for 750/800F?
Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if hot spots develop on a normally operating stove.

was this spray on stuff or brush on? I've had bad luck w/ the spray on doing just this. Repainted the stove w/ brush on and it has been good for years now.

pen

Spray on stuff.

I see your using an NC30. How do you like it? Been entertaining going that route.

I used Stove Bright on the 30-NC to change the color before I installed it in 2006. Been hot a bunch of times and the paint looks like the day I sprayed it. Stove Bright is nasty acetone based stuff but is what a lot of the stove makers use. When I painted my old stove in the house with it a few years ago I was woozie for days. And it may explain my brain damage. :coolsmirk:

Thanks for the explanation on your condition. I will keep that in mind for future posts.

How do you like the 30NC?? Thinking of getting one as a cheaper option to the quad 5700.

Love it and wouldn't have any other.

Is a realistic view to expect a reduction in wood use of 30% going from an older VC to the 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.