Newp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. So I'm not too far from the newp factory in deposit ny. Do they sell direct? Newp are decent aren't they? I'm also not terribly far from the barefoot plant in Troy pa. Just not sure what to get. The local true value has Lignetics. I have no idea what's at depot or lowes...not sure how to tell what brand us actually in the bag. I'm a noob when it comes to brands. I think I'm just going to Start buying 10 bags at a time this year till I can gauge how much I'm going to need. Any advice is greatfully accepted==c.

All I have burned is Somersets and Pro Pellets. Both were very good but I favor the Sets over the Pros just a little. You need to see which brands are available in your area. I'd just call around to places that sell them and ask which brand they have. Then search for reviews on them here.

There are some to stay away from and others that are great. Price per ton is also a factor. Call places like Tractor Supply Co, HD, Lowe's, any other agri businesses and local hardware stores or feed and seed places.

I think people here like Lignetics but I'd check. It really all depends on which brands are available in your area. Figure out your options and prices for each and go from there.

Reactions: Kennyz
If I had a choice between NEWP's and Barefoot's having used both, I'd choose Barefoot's every time. Doesn't mean NEWP's won't keep you warm but you'll be cleaning a little more often and for me, Barefoot's put out more heat into the room.

much depends on your particular stove newps are ok in my lopi agp but others hate them.. I had a good experience with awf's last year and even traded some for Timber Heats with an acquaintance that just hated them in his stove... all depends on your particulr stove ime (in my experience)

Go cruise thru the review section https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/2015-16-pellet-fuel-reviews-opinions-questions.44/ and use the search function at the top for the different brands. NEWPs were decent for me, but pricey compared to other good pellets. I live 20 miles from the NH plant, but can't get direct - only thru Agway or stove shops and then they either don't deliver or cost a fortune to deliver which drives the price higher than I'm willing to pay. The 2 tons I got they gave me free delivery because they were delivering and setting up the stove. After that, NEWPs became price prohibitive for me.

I'm trying Lignetics Pres-to Logs that I got from Lowes this year, which from previous reviews should be better, or at least as good, as what I have burned in the past.

The truth is, each year's run may burn differently. I used Currans blend a couple of years ago (when I ran out of NEWPs) and they were decent. Last year Curran's were very ashy for me (still put out okay heat, just very ashy and got build up in the firepot very quickly). I don't mind burning lower quality pellets as long as the cost of fuel and delivery saves me some $$. I do try to stay away from the really crappy stuff though since they are usually the same price as lower quality to decent pellets.

If there are a lot of choices in your area, running 10-20 bags of each is probably a good strategy. Do go ahead and look at your local BBS - they can get decent/great pellets in for good prices at times. Some people have found Blazers - have to grab those deals in a hurry though as word spreads (maybe thru certain forums pricing reports https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/wood-pellet-pricing-reports.29/ . . . :))

My dad has been getting Dry Creek pellets at Warner's gas on Old Vestal Road for $5 a bag, he likes them.

much depends on your particular stove newps are ok in my lopi agp but others hate them.. I had a good experience with awf's last year and even traded some for Timber Heats with an acquaintance that just hated them in his stove... all depends on your particulr stove ime (in my experience)
I remember that. I hated those awf so much

Reactions: lagger
Status
Not open for further replies.