Next ?: Liners & HT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
I asked my new salesman about lining my ZC doublewall pipe for HT, as most insert specs I've been reading call for. Following is his reply, is he correct?

"Yes, what makes it [the SS liner] HT is the insulation around the stainless pipe, it's ceramic wool with a full back of insulation. It does meet code."

Karen

What makes it "HT" is the Underwriter's Laboratory testing certification that the liner manufacturer provides with the liner verifying that it has been tested to the UL 103HT 2100 degree standard. Most liners require an insulation wrap to obtain that certification.

So do I trust that they know what they're doing and that it'll be HT when they're done, or do I inquire more?

Karen

Not sure how they can really screw up a stainless steel liner. The insulating wrap is what will protect your current 8" pipe from the heat given off by the 6" ss liner. Now, if the guy was trying to just cram in the liner with nothing to keep its heat from transferring to the 8" pipe (which is no doubt only rated for 1,700F), then you might have to yank his chain.

3dogsrule said:
So do I trust that they know what they're doing and that it'll be HT when they're done, or do I inquire more?

Karen

Just tell them that you need the manufacturer's documentation to keep for insurance purposes. It will tell you if the liner with a wrap is HT rated or not.

If the ZC chimney has air cooling between the double walls they need to leave the air channels open at the bottom and the top.

That's a good idea Bart, thanks! Had already been talking to my insurance company to make sure this wouldn't affect my rates, so it wouldn't be too far of a stretch! Now, to pick an insert....

Karen

BrotherBart said:
If the ZC chimney has air cooling between the double walls they need to leave the air channels open at the bottom and the top.

I'm about to check out my ZC pipe and hope to determine if the pipe has "air cooling" between the walls. How do you tell that this is the case? Is it easier from above or below? What will the "air channels" look like?

Thanks for any input here.

CJRages said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm about to check out my ZC pipe and hope to determine if the pipe has "air cooling" between the walls. How do you tell that this is the case? Is it easier from above or below? What will the "air channels" look like?

Thanks for any input here.

There will be openings around the bottom and top of the pipe to allow the air to low up around it and out the top.

LLigetfa said:
CJRages said:
I'm about to check out my ZC pipe and hope to determine if the pipe has "air cooling" between the walls...
In your Advice Needed: Our First Home Has a Zero Clearance Fireplace - Options? thread, You stated you have single wall. So which is it, single or double?

CJRages said:
The fireplace is vented through a chase running up outside the wall of the home containing an 8 inch single wall pipe.

You guys are amazing. Able to catch my inconsistencies here :lol:

Here's the deal: I have been prevented from inspecting the flue pipe(s) partly due to the weather and mostly due to a lack of sufficient ladder height to access the roof (I plan to buy/borrow a ladder tomorrow). After reading others comments and threads, I have become increasingly convinced that our current pipe is most likely not the single-wall type (as much as I hate to admit it, I made that novice assumption earlier based on a conversation with my chimney inspector- lack of communication skills on my part).

I asked the quesiton to help identify the current set-up when I'm able to inspect things myself... hope this makes sense.

That is correct, our liners are tested without insulation and are approved but others on the market need insulation to pass approval. It all comes down to what the liner was tested with when they approved it at UL or Warnock testing centers.

BrotherBart said:
3dogsrule said:

Karen

Just tell them that you need the manufacturer's documentation to keep for insurance purposes. It will tell you if the liner with a wrap is HT rated or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.