1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NFI Rcomendations

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Murph, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Murph

Murph Proud Grandparent

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    According to a section on venting it is suggested that in cold climates the vent pipe should be kept in the envelope of the home to insure maximum draft especially in the event of a power failure. So is this something that should be brought up to the customer, for an install, where we are in New England?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Personally, I would tell them that there needs to be some vertical in the PV run for EXACTLY that reason (drafting). Harman even recommends a 5' minimum rise, but it doesn't have to be within the envelope of the home. Maybe that question should be asked at an NFI Pellet Certification course...
  3. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I had a 4 foot of venting outside when it got real cold,-10, that after a night was almost totally frozen at the end. Was a horizontal run. Was running on low. I don't recommend to much outside in extreme conditions. Now -10 is what the daytime high is what Thursday supposed to be.
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Yes it should be and I am thinking this is directed at wood stoves and not pellet units. Forced draft is worlds different from natural draft.

Eric
    DexterDay and DAKSY like this.
  5. Jefflitzy

Jefflitzy Member

Loc:
    The other province of Ontario.
    In Canada a 5' vertacle is required for a WETT inspection and insurance companies require it in order for homeowners insurance. This is to add in draft in the event of a power failure.
  6. Jefflitzy

Jefflitzy Member

Loc:
    The other province of Ontario.
    Also I have found that stoves generally burn better with the 5' rise and have fewer problems with poor combustion at 40 below when the wind is blowing. It is a Harman requirement for warranty as well.
  7. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    As for Harman, no it is not.

Eric
    DAKSY likes this.
  8. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Harman recommends 5 feet but there is no warranty contingency and their technical drawings also show a direct out without rise ....or am I thinking of something else?

Rise within the house is always better, for draft, for maintenance and for aesthetics...if you use painted 4" venting or that kick-ass adapter to fake out that 6" look
    kinsmanstoves likes this.
  9. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...

No it's not. Like Scott said, if it was the straight-out-the-rear venting option wouldn't be shown in the manuals...
    kinsmanstoves likes this.