NG outdoor heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Planning on spending more time than I'd like outdoors this winter, and was looking for something to provide a bit of warmth on my porch. Many propane patio heaters, which would be great, but I want something that can be used with natural gas. Other options would be an overhead heater. I would most likely be disconnecting and removing the unit when not in use, so I don't think indoor/outdoor would be an issue.

There are all sorts of natural gas fired radiant heaters out there. A lot of the restaurants that have outdoor seating due to Covid are installing them. They work pretty well as long as you remember then are line of sight. If there is surface between the heater and you it will not work well. They really s**k for working under cars. They mount overhead. The Home Depots up north in NH all have them up on the ceiling over the cashiers that have to stand near the open doors all shift. They make a difference. Ideally they work a lot better if you you dont have wind blowing through the porch. Screens are better than nothing but plastic will be better and windows even better.

There are all sorts of natural gas fired radiant heaters out there. A lot of the restaurants that have outdoor seating due to Covid are installing them. They work pretty well as long as you remember then are line of sight. If there is surface between the heater and you it will not work well. They really s**k for working under cars. They mount overhead. The Home Depots up north in NH all have them up on the ceiling over the cashiers that have to stand near the open doors all shift. They make a difference. Ideally they work a lot better if you you dont have wind blowing through the porch. Screens are better than nothing but plastic will be better and windows even better.

I'd love to see one of the ones the restaurants use; those are all propane though, but that's kind of what I'm looking for. The ones at HD are all industrial size $2k units. I'd be more about a 20-100k btu unit. Tons of propane ones out there, but not many NG, and not many LP-->NG conversion kits. More I'm thinking about it, the more I like a portable type unit. I can run a quick disconnect to it. I'd like to find a lockable ball valve for the cut off as well, so far no luck on a 1/2"...

Maybe something like this

I bought a patio heater and I absolutely love it. It’s 46,000 btu and I was very surprised how hot these units get . I’ve seen many restaurants with them but no one has the one I have that I know of. It’s candy apple red I bought it on esty but the company who makes them is doortank some propane delivery company . Look at how beautiful this patio heater is
A7C5E769-C6DA-40BC-9FD8-70DA57540B5F.jpeg