Removing Outdoor Wood Boiler Components

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pulleye16

Jan 22, 2024
MN
I purchased a place that had an outdoor wood boiler, but unfortunately at this time, I won’t be using it (seasonal cabin). It’s fairly old so I decided to get rid of it.

The one part I’m not sure what to do with is the coils that supplemented the furnace (propane).

Attached are the pics of the coils. I’d like to remove but I’m not sure what role this plays in my gas furnace or if something need to replace the coils.

Can I simply pull the coils and patched the area closed?

Thanks

IMG_6690.jpeg IMG_6689.jpeg

If that is just a coil in duct work, yes just remove the coil and patch. You may need to slow the blower motor down as in theory the coils were a resistance in the ductwork and taking them out would reduce the resistance so the fan would flow a bit more air. My guess is its was a basic install so no need to mess with the fan.

Thanks Peakbagger. Kind of assumed it would be that simple but I don’t like messing with gas furnaces without knowing for sure. Every install video was that simple so I guess it makes sense that pulling it would be too.

Thanks Peakbagger. Kind of assumed it would be that simple but I don’t like messing with gas furnaces without knowing for sure. Every install video was that simple so I guess it makes sense that pulling it would be too.
Won't hurt anything to leave it there ,you may change your mind and want to use it at a later date.

Reactions: sloeffle
Worse case its worth a few bucks at a scrapyard.

If that's a Grundfos 26-99 circulator it's worth about $350 brand new these days. A quality built ( non-Chinese built ) water - air HX is $100 - $150 new. I'd definitely sell the heat exchanger and circulator on FBM or Craigslist.

Reactions: pulleye16
Isn't that the one that @cumminstinkerer was working on...?
yes, I worked on a 26-99, a 15-58, and a 15-58 menards clone, I did get mine figured out, the switches go bad internally, it took four hands and some multimeter time and a scratch pad but, we found a work around for the garbage chinesium switches. If that is a 26-99 I might be interested, waiting on some calculations before I decide for sure. If anyone needs the info on the wiring for the 3 speed circs reach out to me I will share!