Nice haul today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I stopped at the local brush dump and a guy had been bringing in a large maple all day. I filled up the bed as far as I felt safe, and unloaded it. Too bad they close at 3, I would have gone back for more.

So as I was unloading the truck, I mention to the wife that we should get a splitter. She was for it!

Are there any smaller, quality splitters on sale now?

Matt

Ditto that. I have 3 1/2 cords stacked for the start of next year and every piece has been split by hand. The knotty pieces get a wedge and a maul. Once you learn the technique, it becomes much easier to split by hand.

I agree! Love splitting wood. Not only is it great exercise, and really gratifying when you get the hang of it, but I'm always really mellow afterwards. Great way to get rid of your $*&#%n frustrations, (not that I have any)

Once I get through testing this leveraxe, perhaps you'd like to give it a go around. Don't know how its going to work out though.

I already have about 2 cords split by hand for next year already. No problem doing the exercise. I'm not back in shape for doing it yet, but before winter started I could swing my maul or 10 lb sledge without any difficulties for long periods. I'd have the wife bring me the rounds as fast as she could and I'd keep up with the splitting. I'd empty the truck bed before I'd stop.

I'm just looking at time when it gets later in the year. When summer gets here I'm going to want to spend more time up at the lake giving fish a run for their money. The garden is going to be taking more time also.

This will be the 2nd year with the stove and I'd like to get 4+ more cords cut and split. It's a fantacy to have a stash like some of the guys on the forum and be a year or two ahead on wood.

EatenByLimestone said:
It's a fantacy to have a stash like some of the guys on the forum and be a year or two ahead on wood.
I'm one ahead now and would love to get two ahead this year. The wood is sitting there waiting for me - a 1/2 mile x 200 ft tract along a frontage road that is chock full of standing dead. The problem is - where the he!! do I put it? There's at least 10 full cords there. Will my fiance mind if I turn the entire yard into a woodlot? "But honey, it's only temporary - in a year or two, everything will be back to normal..." :)

Ha! Welcome to the new normal!!

10 cords... Hard to imagine!

So I was out splitting the maple with my maul, sledge and a few wedges and the guy from a few houses down came up and asked if I take trees down. He's building a house (contractor) and the new owner wanted fewer trees. He's going to have a tree guy take them down and put them in his dumptruck. He'll back the dumptruck up into the alley behind the house and drop them at the end where I normally park. He said there are probably 4 cords. I'll be happy with 1 (anything really...), but it will be nice if he decides to drop lots of wood in my driveway for me!

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
He's going to have a tree guy take them down and put them in his dumptruck. He'll back the dumptruck up into the alley behind the house and drop them at the end where I normally park. He said there are probably 4 cords.
Wow - delivered, eeevun! What a gift!

Corie said:
Once I get through testing this leveraxe,

You got one?
I would love to see that thing struggle with 20" logs of oak. I split some pine today that had my 8lb maul crying uncle. Knotted up twisted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Free wood is always good ;)

I read a post where Computeruser is on a list to try it out... A couple good reviews on tough wood could make or break this thing...

Matt

jrandall said:
Matt, Grossman's had an electric model on sale last week.

Mat check out the Iron horse post in the gear room this is the 6 ton electric splitter sold at Gossman's

All owners are quite pleased and impressed as to what it will split Less that $300

I netted 1/2 cords yeaterday road clearing crew just left it there after trimming for telephone poles mostly 6" rounds about 6' in length

Right now I have 10 cords already stacked most from last year I am working on the 3 year away I have about 2 cords that need to be processed and will bring scrounge in aniother
3 this year I like having 15 or more cords on hand

BTW pn Craig's list in Mansfield ma $15 for a pickup load at that price I just might drive over in my 3/4 tone pk even if 1/2 cord per load 30$ for a cords already cut to rounds can't be beat

I still use the mauls to split but my 16 ton electric splits up the nasty stuff, and I use an electric chain saw to cut to rounds

I'll check out Grossmans. I've never seen a splitter in there. Maybe my store doesn't order them? Maybe I'll ask them at the checkout about the splitter.

Matt

I stopped in at Grossmans and they were all out. They have more coming in Wednesday so I'll check them out then. In the Gear section I saw people asking if the motor could be run on 220. I didn't see an answer. Can anybody read the label on the motor and see if it's 110 only?

Matt

Ok Corie, you got me.just what is a leveraxe and how does it work?Never heard of it.

I piced up an Iron Horse today. It works great! I stalled it out on a really gnarly piece of pine. The other 1/3 cord or so went without a hitch.

When I got done, I had a tad of hydraulic fluid around one of the rear legs. I hope the seals were just seating themselves. My father came over later to see the splitter and it worked fine without any leaks. I'll try some more tomorrow.

Matt

well, I would be interested in hearing updated posts on how much you split with it..I am sure that they are ok if you are splitting 3 cord or under. I dont think that I would get one for the amount that I split, around 10 cord

I think I have done about 1/2 cord or so. When it's stacked and not thrown into a pile I'll know for sure. I'll be stacking later this weekend. I'm scrounging tomorrow so I may have a lot more split by the time it's over.

For 10 cord I think a larger one could be justified.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.