Nice Mulberry Score!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
My buddy called last night and asked if I wanted some wood. Showed up and this is what he gave me.. What friends are for! He has 4 more!!!

There is no pic.

bob

Sorry folks here is the photo

Attachments

• Mulberry.JPG
    Mulberry.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 221
Now that is a good buddy. Mulberry is a great wood, love the blue flames it puts off the heat is pretty nice as well.

Reactions: TheBigIron
Nice score. Maybe you can get him to let you buck it next time so you get it consistently to your stove length.

Nice score. Maybe you can get him to let you buck it next time so you get it consistently to your stove length.
That's a great point that you bring up.. I told him that I would buck it, but he insisted. So now I have some mixed matched sizes and pieces. Oh well it was free and like heavy hammer said great wood so I am not complaining;em

It might not be to the lengths you want but it's free and he is bringing it to you still a win in my book. Plus it gives you a reason to use the saw, still sounds pretty good to me.

I would NEVER turn down mulberry! Unless it was cut into 1" blocks.....LOL......Even then I would find a way to burn it.

I have been told that mulberry is in the same family as locust and hedge. I think that is why it pops when burning. I know after a few years of seasoning it hardens up real nice. Two years ago I got ahold of some from these tree guys, they cut them into weird like blocks 8 by 10 inch pieces odd to stack. But great all night burners they are difficult to split or cut smaller but burn real nice. Changed my thoughts on mulberry.

I have been told that mulberry is in the same family as locust and hedge. I think that is why it pops when burning. I know after a few years of seasoning it hardens up real nice. Two years ago I got ahold of some from these tree guys, they cut them into weird like blocks 8 by 10 inch pieces odd to stack. But great all night burners they are difficult to split or cut smaller but burn real nice. Changed my thoughts on mulberry.
Up until I joined the Hearth I thought mulberry was garbage and no good, but this has changed my mind. Glad it did because I am able to get my hands on all kinds it seems lately..

Reactions: heavy hammer
Nice score!!!
If he needs more friends... ;)

I thought the same the46zone, mulberry was always considered junk in my book. I was wrong it's amazing the little things you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.