Nice oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
ma4y2yqy.jpg
ta6utyqu.jpg

12x6 trailer was packed with beautiful oak. CL find, just cut down in December.

The worst part is, there was more but I couldn't get my truck in the backyard and the rest if the wood was a 50ft walk around the pool and up a hill. Armed with only a hand truck I just could do anymore.

Nevertheless I'm happy with my haul.

That had to be a lot of work.....but a nice haul:cool:

[quote="ironspider, post: 1693659, member: 2991there was more but I couldn't get my truck in the backyard and the rest if the wood was a 50ft walk around the pool and up a hill. Armed with only a hand truck I just could do anymore. [/quote]Aw, c'mon, that's good for ya. ;) Was that two different trees? Looks like maybe a Black and a Red.

Yes two different trees. The smooth bark stuff was HEAVY. In there which you can't see (at the bottom) are the large 24" or better. They kidded my butt. Sorry I had nothing left.

But I did manage to split some when I got home, that's why the trailer is missing a good portion.

I was able to score some more oak that's been sitting unsplit for est 5 years. I'm wonder if I'll be able to split it one and use it for 14-15. What do you think? I split a 6 in round and it burned great.

ete2anur.jpg

Reactions: jaychino415
This stuff was even harder to get to than my last score so I left a lot there.

I was able to score some more oak that's been sitting unsplit for est 5 years. I'm wonder if I'll be able to split it one and use it for 14-15. What do you think? I split a 6 in round and it burned great.

That should be fine! Good find.

ete2anur.jpg
If you have a MM, let us know what number came up, I split some the other day, it looked dried like that but came out at 32% in the middle, I was surprised, the I said to myself, I shouldn't really be surprised.....

I too have had some old oak logs 5 plus years down and moisture is still too high for me. 28 percent.

My mm battery died. But I cut some to length and it doesn't look dry.

Why do I never have an extra 9v battery? I gott everything else.

Nice !!!

Nice find. I hate hauls like that where you have to walk 50+ feet with every chunk. It kicks your (_|_) quick.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
This recent one was uphill with boards put up the two sets of stairs, I used a wheel barrow but it killed me, I left so much there and I'm not going back for more. It was way to hard on my body.

This recent one was uphill with boards put up the two sets of stairs, I used a wheel barrow but it killed me, I left so much there and I'm not going back for more. It was way to hard on my body.
Can you hire a laborer at a decent price to do the hard work and fill your truck nice and full and then have the next load ready to go as soon as you get back from dumping the previous load? Do you get what I'm saying? 2 hours for $25 seams like how I would do it..... What do you think?

In this area you won't get a day laborer to do this for 25 an hour. It's Smithtown, even a day laborer make more than me.

Well that's only sorta true but seriously, I'd have to find one in a whole different town, they really don't hang around Smithtown.

Reactions: nsfd95
Geez, I was thinking 25 for 2 hours.... Check around, ask a friend, hire a college student.. Etc, good luck....

It's Smithtown, even a day laborer make more than me.

You should put that on a t shirt and sell them.

Just split a lot of the oak I got, but didn't expect this:
ubabajyn.jpg

I threw the round in the woods as there were much more than shown in the pic, don't want those in my stacks.

I left so much there and I'm not going back for more. It was way to hard on my body.
I have had those scrounges where it was GREAT wood, but the effort was so much that I would rather run my heat pump (FYI, I HATE running my heat pump. Love the feel of wood heat).

ubabajyn.jpg

I threw the round in the woods as there were much more than shown in the pic, don't want those in my stacks.

I have had this too......and I did the same as you.....got it far away from the rest of my wood. I don't want that coming in my house.

If you have a MM, let us know what number came up, I split some the other day, it looked dried like that but came out at 32% in the middle, I was surprised, the I said to myself, I shouldn't really be surprised.....

Ok this stuff is not happening for next year like I hoped, fresh split is reading 37-42%. The very end is reading .09%. Gotta love that, I'll burn the ends lol

ubabajyn.jpg

No need to throw the rounds away! The ants will leave on their own. So, now that they have been thrown into the woods, it is time to retrieve them!

I am surprised they are active as around here they would still be dormant. Shoot, I once found about 4 splits like what you have pictured and it was from an ash tree. Wild turkeys were coming through our back yard daily so I took a can out to my wife's shed where she keeps the bird seed. I spread some very thinly from where the turkeys crossed and right up to the ants. Within a couple hours, the ants were all gone. Then I had to break the turkeys habit because they were going daily to that spot looking for more ants! It didn't take long for them to learn they were not welcome though. ;lol

Ok this stuff is not happening for next year like I hoped, fresh split is reading 37-42%. The very end is reading .09%. Gotta love that, I'll burn the ends lol
Thanks for the update, I kinda new the numbers would be up there, theft are kinda high, but now you know they won't be ready for next year, but if I were you, I would split a few rounds extra thin so tat you can test them out next fall after a to summer to see the difference in drying time, I have thin ones from last summer that I think are ready to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.