1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NJ, FREE SEASONED OAK FIRE WOOD SPLIT!!!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Coal Reaper, May 6, 2013.

1. WeldrDave

WeldrDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Oh My God!!!.......... I'm to far away:(

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Before I got married I was about 15 minutes from there and had access to a masons dump. But that was a then....
  3. Coal Reaper

Coal Reaper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    i called up and the lady did not think there was enough room to back a trailer in between the side of house and fence to get into backyard. and you have to dodge a few sprinkler heads in the process. but she has a wheelbarrow to use!

and here is the $110 cords i mentioned.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grq/3749182135.html
  4. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Am i reading it right? They only want someone that can take it all? Not just a couple loads?
  5. Coal Reaper

Loc:
    NJ
    that was not mentioned or implied i dont think
  6. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I must have read it wrong. Maybe ill stop in and grab a couple truck loads at the risk of the old lady having a fit
  7. Coal Reaper

Loc:
    NJ
    didnt sound that old and she seemed nice. let me know how bad it is. i was considreing taking a ride when i assumed i could get the trailer right next to the wood. she claimed they are putting up a fence and the stack was in the way. i almost asked "why not just move the wood 5 feet?" but i caught myself. they gotta be burners with the splitter there and all. people just dont give wood away like that, i dont get it...
  8. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    ya is very weird being that they burn. all that work to just give it away instead of moving it?
  9. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Around here that free oak firewood would have been gone 30 minutes after it was posted. I cannot believe that it is still there.

Also around here the firewood in the CL ad would all be bought up by the rest of the firewood processors to re-sell it. I mean, if those are 'real' 4x4x8 cords, forget getting anything else! $110 for split oak? Cheap as chips!
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I wonder how that guy gets away with crossing state lines with non-kiln dried firewood. Getting hard to cross county lines here thanks to the DEC and EAB regulations, let alone state borders.
  11. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    No quarantine here yet, EAB hasn't made it quite this far south. Although it is coming.
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

EAB fear is here. Oregon law as of the first of this year is no firewood from outside of Idaho, Washington or Oregon.

So as much as I would like that pile of free oak... or to buy $110/cord oak... *sniff*
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

Pfft... it's a rental, fill that bitche from wall to wall, floor to ceiling. :)

Coal Reaper likes this.
  14. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Another master of intelligence idea, eh? A 10 ft. rental truck has 402 cu. ft. of cargo space. So you are saying load it up, floor to ceiling with wood... am I with you here? That truck has a capacity of just over 3 cords of oak by volume. 3 cords of half-dry oak is at least 5,000 pounds a cord. That would be over 15,000 pounds of weight, total. And you are going to load and haul 15,000 pounds of weight in a truck designed for to carry a mere 2,800 pounds? Less than 1/5th the capacity? <blink blink> Do I have that right? Assuming the truck likely has an axle loading capacity of 3,500 pounds, a typical size, you are still over 4 times its design limit.

OK... so make that rental truck your bytch! I would venture to guess that you would wind up like any of these people at Home Depot. I mean, they might actually make it... someplace.

home depot overload.jpg
  15. nate379

nate379 Guest

I was obviously kidding. Don't take everything so literal! ;)