No apparent footing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Saccosrig

Jul 29, 2023
Indiana
Afternoon guys. New guy to the site here.

I ran in to a situation today that I have not seen before. 1940 built home. An abandoned chimney still present in the wall cavities, attic, and through the roof. Unfinished basement with nothing below the chimney in 1st floor. I didn't even see signs that it ever ran through the basement. This home had more than normal settlement towards the center of the home(chimney location). My worry is for 2 things. What is holding the chimney up? And is the chimney potentially added to the settlement issue if it was supported by the wood structure of the home for the past 80+ years. I was under the impression that every chimney should be on its own footings.

Any thoughts on what i saw? Thanks in advance.

Not every place is built properly. Some owner-built places have errors built in. I'd remove the old chimney completely. It's not that hard to do. Replace it with a proper metal chimney installation if the intent is to connect a stove.

Reactions: Saccosrig
The brick chimney in our new to us, at the time, 1850’s farmhouse stopped at the first floor. It appeared to be supported by two wood posts In the cellar. To level the floor we needed to cut around the chimney. On closer inspection we discovered it was held up by just one of the posts, a likely wobbly situation if we went ahead and freed the floor around it. We took the unlined chimney down and took advantage of the space.

To me a minimum response would be to build a frame under the chimney and support it supported by posts. An ample footing would be best but if the floor is concrete, or dirt for that matter, short lengths of pressure treated 2x10s laid flat under the posts would help spread the load.

I’m thinking the chimney could be jacked along with the floor and the addition of a proper footing and support but jacking masonry is outside my experience.

Reactions: Saccosrig
Have the chimney professionally inspected to make sure that it is worth saving.