No ash in the ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, I have a Quad MVAE that autocleans itself every 2-3 hours, which is far too often. But it will go for a full week with nothing done other than dumping in more pellets. Tradeoffs..

I have a Quad MVAE that autocleans itself every 2-3 hours, which is far too often.

That seems to be a big complaint of many MVAE owners and I can understand why when it's cold out. They do seem to be a good stove on the other hand and are quite nice looking too. I was looking at a used one and the seller flaked out I guess once I was asking about if it had the upgraded board and stat. Just quit returning my calls and texts. I passed then and it was hours away so I wanted to know what I was dealing with before the long journey to look at it. Seller might have sold it too but I asked them to let me know if that happened and never heard a word.

After going thru manuals and as many pictures as possible of the stove I think I see a design flaw. Instead of controlling the exhaust-draft flow they instead have air inlet slides that then if pulled put more air through chamber and not really controlling the air through pot. Seems a copy of a Whit but instead of the ash drops being used for a quick clean of burn chamber they are trying to use them as draft controls.:( So when they are pulled to control the pot fire they instead just stir the ash in the chamber area.

.:( So when they are pulled to control the pot fire they instead just stir the ash in the chamber area.

Yup that's pretty much what happens LOL "Ashnado"

So looks like I will have to deal with the crappy design of this stove.

I've tried 2 different types of Pellets since the La Crete's.

Type #1 http://www.rona.ca/en/wood-pellets-79645000--1

Crazy heat output, though it would melt my stove lol But burned too slow for my feed rate on low setting and eventually over filled the burn pot. Very low ash in the chamber area

Type #2 Got them from Lowes I forget the name and they don't have it on the site.
They burned nice, pretty much same ash buildup in the Chamber as LaCrete but 6.50 $ a bag... that's nuts

So looks like I'm going to HomeDepot tonight and buying a bunch of LaCrete's. I can deal with ash cleanup every 3 days, but I can't deal with overflowing burn pot and/or 6.50 $ a bag LOL

Thanks again for everyone's input and tips :-D

Next year I am very tempted at looking at a Pellet furnace addon.... might pluck your brains on that later on in the year :)

Just a quick update, I've burnt another 5 bags of LaCrete with great success. Awesome heat.. almost too much ! No overfilled burn pot, just a whole lot of ash, but that's okay :)

I did get 5 bags of McFeeters at 5.49$ so going to try those tomorrow. I heard good things about them.

Cheers,

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.