no block off plate or insulation above insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
13.6%.

Seriously, nobody knows what percentage it will be. But all report feeling more heat out in the room with it up there.

tumm21 said:
How much more heat will I get if I at least insulate above my insert. Im talking percentage wise??

It also depends on your chimney set-up.... is your chimney interior or exterior. Is your liner insulated? I would say if your chimney is exterior (insulated or not), you could benefit from a block-off plate and Roxul. If its interior, not so much.... but it couldn't hurt. :)

My installer failed to put a top plate on my interior chimney install. I got up there and insulated the tope 24 inches, then capped the chimney area around the liner- I noticed a significant difference in stove temps. That doesn't really speak to block off plate or not, but thought maybe it would be helpful.

DaFattKidd said:
My installer failed to put a top plate on my interior chimney install. I got up there and insulated the tope 24 inches, then capped the chimney area around the liner- I noticed a significant difference in stove temps. That doesn't really speak to block off plate or not, but thought maybe it would be helpful.

Next off season you should try doing the same at the flue. I'd be interested to see the difference. If you take the surround off is there enough room to maneuver to insulate?

I'm blocked off at the top, with a center chimney on the PE. Planning on rock wool at the top of the insert to keep the heat down.

BrowningBAR said:
DaFattKidd said:

Next off season you should try doing the same at the flue. I'd be interested to see the difference. If you take the surround off is there enough room to maneuver to insulate?

I did that when I upgraded my stove last January. I had everything out so I stuffed some insulation up there, and the way that the damper was cut to fit the liner practically serves as a block off plate. I have nothing to compare that to, because I've only burned the osburn with the top plate in and the pseudo block off plate insulated. Like this it really throws the heat and has some impressive burn times.

DaFattKidd said:
BrowningBAR said:
DaFattKidd said:

I did that when I upgraded my stove last January. I had everything out so I stuffed some insulation up there, and the way that the damper was cut to fit the liner practically serves as a block off plate. I have nothing to compare that to, because I've only burned the osburn with the top plate in and the pseudo block off plate insulated. Like this it really throws the heat and has some impressive burn times.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. The Vigilant and Encore both have the same block-off insulation setup as you. The pipe for the Heritage goes int a chimeny that doesn't have a heather or flue and the chimney is lined and insulated.

My chimney is in the middle of my house so its an interior wall. Its kind of hard to insulate above the insert now but I might be able to insulate the top of the chimney. What do you guys think

The block off will help. Read my experiance.

My original set up was a liner with a top cap sealed. That's it. I then had insulation poured down to the first clay tile. That improved draft considerably. Then i stuffed fiberglass insulation in the damper area. I did this as a quick set up. I really couldn't tell if it helped with keeping the heat from rising into the uninsulated smoke shelf.

A few weeks back, i purchased some Roxul and stuffed it up into the smoke shelf. I got as much as i could fit up there. Then I packed more into the damper area. After doing this, I noticed two things. The stove heats up faster and there is more radiant heat pouring out of the fireplace (heating the brick face and cast surround).

Status
Not open for further replies.