No fire tomorrow (2/6/2011)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
It's Super Bowl Sunday and the TV is in the "basement" of our 1950's split level. When the fire is running on the main floor, it gets pretty cold downstairs. Could run an electric heater downstairs, but that seems wrong.

Oh well. At least this year I have a team to cheer for. It's been some time since the Redskins (our local team) has had much success. But, my grandfather played for the Packers to pay for his tuition at Lawrence College, and my mother grew up in Appleton, WI not far from Green Bay. As a result, I am a long time Packer's fan. (I can recount the names of the legendary Lombardi teams if asked.)

In keeping with my Northern heritage, I suppose I should be willing to watch the game in cold storage downstairs (as in Polar Bear Club). But, forget it! Hot popcorn, beer and central heating will have to do.

Enjoy the game. Go Packers!!!!!!

In our home, the wood stove is on the main floor, forcing a colder situation downstairs in the finished family room. That said, there are a ton of suggestions in here for fixing that situation in the future.

But, since today is not enough time to "fix" the situation, ..............if you have a forced hot air system, run the blower only. Keep it running. That will balance out the temps somewhat (I've found the secret is to run the blower continuously......it doesn't use THAT much electricity, and I can close the door to the furnace side of the family room in the basement, reducing the noise factor).

-Soupy1957

We'll watch the game while staying warm as the stove is in the same room.

Bryan, like you, our more local team (or the pretenders), the Lions (or Loins) are a wash out and have been for well over 50 years now. I've been a Packer fan for many moons and will continue. I also like the Steelers so this should be enjoyable to watch. I wish both teams well.

Is there a ballgame tonight? Honestly, I'm a bigger college ball fan than pro ball and won't be watching much of the game being as I've got something better to be doing with my time...

I'll be waiting on a little lady to arrive...seems my daughter is going into the hospital this evening to deliver our second granddaughter! (I think if I poked my daughter with a finger she would pop!<grin>) I think it will be Monday morning before she arrives, though, so we just might catch the score all along. ;)

GO CHARLIE ANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Ed

Bring that TV upstairs...flat screens are light if that's what you have. No reason to freeze keep the fire going...bro.
md

Intheswamp said:
Is there a ballgame tonight? Honestly, I'm a bigger college ball fan than pro ball and won't be watching much of the game being as I've got something better to be doing with my time...

I'll be waiting on a little lady to arrive...seems my daughter is going into the hospital this evening to deliver our second granddaughter! (I think if I poked my daughter with a finger she would pop!<grin>) I think it will be Monday morning before she arrives, though, so we just might catch the score all along. ;)

GO CHARLIE ANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Ed

It does sound like you have something better to do this weekend. Congratulations. Hope all goes well. My son and his wife are coming over to watch the game tonight. They are expecting our first grandson in about 2 weeks, so I know how excited you are.

All the best!

Soupy: Thanks for the suggestion. Would be glad to hear about a longer term fix.

Our Bigscreen is downstairs where the stove is so I have the opposite problem. But I would rather be trying to figure out how to get more heat up than down since it naturally wants to go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.