No...I don't sell firewood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firefighterjake said:
I wouldn't do so . . . I put in a lot of time and effort to heat my house cheaply.

AMEN. I guess it would be nice to earn a little side money, but sourcing enough wood to heat my house all winter is nearly a part-time job as it is!

I donate to the cause very so often but was never asked to sell.

My sister in law asked for some 4 yrs ago for their open fireplace. I had about a truckload of uglies and small splits, nice and dry. Hauled it to their house and stacked it up under the back deck on a pallet.
Most of it sits there to this day. Seems that they like Duraflame logs better.

kettensäge said:

My sister in law asked for some 4 yrs ago for their open fireplace. I had about a truckload of uglies and small splits, nice and dry. Hauled it to their house and stacked it up under the back deck on a pallet.

Also the problem with open fireplace folks is that they cant burn the big hunks as easy unless there bone dry?

Man, my family is like that. Come up to visit and keep asking me to give them some wood to go home with. And Ive got barely 4 cords on hand.

clemsonfor said:
kettensäge said:

Also the problem with open fireplace folks is that they cant burn the big hunks as easy unless there bone dry?

I think what I gave them was perfect for the fireplace, not big at all as they had to carry it a good distance to the fireplace, and smaller would be easier to light and load.
Would be shoulder wood for us "normal woodburners" :)
Nice and dry, mix of oak, cherry, maple, and ash. They are slowly using it up on the backyard campfires.

Off Topic:-They also insist on using a grate. I never had the opportunity to burn an open fireplace so I don't know if a grate is necessary or not.
I suggested they try a fire without and they said "no you need to use a grate for a wood fire"

I did find a grate in my insert after I moved into my house, went right on the scrap pile.

I think a grate would be helpful in an open fireplace but never in a wood stove.

Kenster said:
I think a grate would be helpful in an open fireplace but never in a wood stove.

I thought so too, until I noticed that wood on a grate burns faster than wood sitting on the bed of the fireplace. It burn hotter and slower with out one.

Getting back to the OP. My B.I.L. asked me for some wood as his wife had suggested that a fire in their fireplace would be "romantic".
I replied that I was worried about having enough for the seasond and that B.I.L. wife can find romance with a candle as far as I'm concerned.

It went over like a treat.

i guess i do and i don't ;-)

when i was cleaning up my wood lot this past fall i had a bunch of ash that was bucked up for a year but not split - i knew it wouldn't be ready for this year but i put an honest ad on CL selling one bobcat bucket for $40.00 picked up - yup pretty cheap but it paid for my steak dinner that night... the guy's son called me a week later asking if i had more. told him sorry but i was working on just cut stuff so maybe next year. same thing with a guy from work who wanted to use the fire place in his new home. $40.00

much like a few others here my neighbors also burn so it's not an issue

my street is quiet but maybe once a year someone will stop and ask if i sell - the answer is always nope - i heat with it

one non-burning neighbor was walking his dog on chrsitmas day and asked if he could have a few splits for his fireplace - not a problem cause it's nice to be neighborly...

I think some folks who don't burn now see the value in firewood because those wrapped splits at the local convenience store now cost $6.00 for maybe 5 small splits

StuckInTheMuck said:
Do what the oil companies do and let the futures market determine your price for wood. The answers are right here.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

If they're selling heating oil at $3.75 per gallon then on a BTU for BTU comparison (80% efficiency for oil and 75% for wood), your wood is worth about $625 per cord. I just sold all of my wood to my neighbor to pay for oil as I won't be able to burn wood this winter. Sucks..

Id rather eat my children than part with my wood

Status
Not open for further replies.