1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

No More December Wood.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Ozzie33, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Ozzie33

Ozzie33 Member

Loc:
    Montana
    december wood.jpg.JPG january wood.jpg.JPG

Ran out of December wood (left) - dang, almost made it. Will have to borrow some from January (right). Burning a little ahead of schedule this year i guess. No traveling over the holidays, alot of feeding the wood stove!
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you saying that amount of wood one one of those racks last you a month normally? If so, how often are you burning?
  3. Ozzie33

Ozzie33 Member

Loc:
    Montana
    Actually no, one rack will not do it. i burn 24/7 and need a bit more than a cord / month. the house is 100 years old and we keep it pretty toasty. i view the propane furnance as a back up heat source only.
    Oz
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Heard that...all the demand for heat over the last week while watching movies and the snow fall has put a dent in my shed too.
  5. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh OK I was going to say thats not much wood! I also use a bit more over a cord a month, sad to watch all my piles disappearing! :(
  6. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I don't really see it as sad watching piles being used up, more as the fruits of our labor.
    Warm house and family and keeping the gas man away is my goal and my scrounging and labor gets me there.
    I like to look at it as an opportunity to find more wood and start a fresh stack and reap more rewards from my labor three years down the road.
    TimJ and milleo like this.
  7. Ozzie33

Ozzie33 Member

Loc:
    Montana
    Couldn't agree more.

being a little ahead on my burning was bugging me so i went after a small load (had to check the ice at the fishing hole anyway). Found a nice, dry western larch - now i will burn January's wood in January.

Split it up a few hours ago and found a huge load of ants in the two bottom pieces - called the chickens in for clean up. Little egg makers did a great job.

IMG_0188.jpg
  8. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice dry stack.
    Almost as fun to burn it as it is to process it.
    Almost ;)

Really fun seeing the heat bill near $0. :)
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

It's been a colder winter in Northern New York this year, all that hoarding of the good stuff the past couple of years is paying off, looks like a good old fashion winter so far for us.