No more ethanol-free gas? (maybe just here in NY?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last ethanol free in PA was 8-31-2010, not sure how they changed it to counteract the ethanol but I did notice better power and mileage over the past month.

Battenkiller said:
homebrewz said:
When I bought my saw last summer, I asked my local Stihl dealer which was better, high-octane with ethanol or 87 E-free. They said the 87 E-free.
Haven't dealt with them very much, so can't speak for their experience. That's just what they told me.

I'll call Rhodes in Albany when I need fuel again and find out if they still sell it.

I'll stick with what my owner's manual tells me for now - 90 octane or better, otherwise you risk damaging the engine. E-10 won't hurt things real badly unless you let it sit around long enough to cause phase separation to occur, then you'll probably blow up your saw. Stabil/Sea Foam is the cure for that. Two of my saws have had fuel lines replaced with Tygon, the rest will be as needed. I have to accept the E-10 as a sad fact of life and just hope and pray they don't force E-15 down our throats before long.

Homebrewz, I will being going right past Rhodes on the way to my friend's house tomorrow morning. I'll stop and ask if they are open for business when I pass (I'm leaving here early in the AM). They used to have regular and high test E-free, but maybe all the have is the regular now. Oh, and another place in Troy, NY used to be listed on the Pure-gas site, but I see that one is gone now as well.
I hear you on the E-15, Bk. I wonder what impact the flooding in the Mississippi Valley/Delta and the floods that preceded the flooding in the delta will have on corn prices.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
Battenkiller said:
homebrewz said:
When I bought my saw last summer, I asked my local Stihl dealer which was better, high-octane with ethanol or 87 E-free. They said the 87 E-free.
Haven't dealt with them very much, so can't speak for their experience. That's just what they told me.

I'll call Rhodes in Albany when I need fuel again and find out if they still sell it.

I'll stick with what my owner's manual tells me for now - 90 octane or better, otherwise you risk damaging the engine. E-10 won't hurt things real badly unless you let it sit around long enough to cause phase separation to occur, then you'll probably blow up your saw. Stabil/Sea Foam is the cure for that. Two of my saws have had fuel lines replaced with Tygon, the rest will be as needed. I have to accept the E-10 as a sad fact of life and just hope and pray they don't force E-15 down our throats before long.

Homebrewz, I will being going right past Rhodes on the way to my friend's house tomorrow morning. I'll stop and ask if they are open for business when I pass (I'm leaving here early in the AM). They used to have regular and high test E-free, but maybe all the have is the regular now. Oh, and another place in Troy, NY used to be listed on the Pure-gas site, but I see that one is gone now as well.
I hear you on the E-15, Bk. I wonder what impact the flooding in the Mississippi Valley/Delta and the floods that preceded the flooding in the delta will have on corn prices.

Ed
I think over the long haul ethanol is not a good idea, just another "feel good" idea that has little merit in the big picture.

I just had to deliver four non-running Dolmar 420s to a local dealer for a friend of mine. Every one has fuel line problems because of E-gas. The dealer highly recommended using Star Tron fuel additive when using E-10, so I bought a bottle for when my E-free runs out... which should be any day now. :-S

Battenkiller - What kind of 2-cycle oil do you use?

I've been running Star-tron in all my gas the last few years - straight for the mowers and snow blowers, and it, with a synthetic 2-cycle for the saws and brush cutter. So far, knock on wood, no problems as of yet.

I've been using Amsoil Dominator, 40:1. I just bought a quart of Amsoil Saber that I intend to run 50:1 in all my saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.