No more tarps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimjim

Aug 31, 2015
Cape cod
Long time lurker here, thought i would share the wood shed I built this winter. I would like to thank stejus for his build, I used his post as a guide, and copied his framing design. Also davidmsem had a helpful lumber list to go off.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-i-have-a-wood-shed.100633/

Ground never froze so i was able to dig 42 in footings for the posts

20160303_143717.jpg
My 2 supervisors

20160305_121552.jpg
Had a buddy help with the footings, but did framing myself. Not recommended but i wanted to get it done.

20160312_160307.jpg
Scored some nice locally milled red cedar on craigslist for the sides and back. 1/2 inch gaps inbetween boards for some airflow.
20160312_160339.jpg
Pallets for the floor.
20160321_094834.jpg
Only have a little over a half acre so had to load right away to make room.
View from the deck. Happy easter and keep your woodpile dry!

Attachments

• 20160313_174040.jpg
    20160313_174040.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
Very nice work!

Nice shed and wood stash. I like the holz hausen too.

Thanks, looking foward to next winter, the shed is full of oak and honey locust. Never burned honey locust but have been hearing good things about it on the forum. Trying to get ahead i've got 5 more cord c/s/s all over the yard, now i have it organized.

Wow - that right there is a wood burners paradise

Reactions: excessads
Very nice shed.

bob

The cedar siding looks awesome! Nice job

Nice shed there. Great job!

great job, love the siding. good riddance to tarps!

Nice find on the cedar! Cannot beat the look.

That is the first shed I've seen with cedar siding. Now that will be the standard for firewood shed siding from here on through. Very nice work.

Was going to use t-111 but when I found the cedar i couldn't resist.

looks great! i need to do something like this, after I figure out where to put it!

Nice work! Really like how you did the eves. Will have to remember that next time I do a project with a roof.

Can you share some rough numbers in terms of dimensions and material costs (minus the siding)?

Looks like 8' d x 16' w? Maybe $400'ish on materials?

Dimensions are 14ft long 6 ft deep. Posts are 6 ft tall in the back, 7.5 ft for the front. I copied the design of stejus' shed that I posted in the above link. Material for framing and roof was about $450. I can make a lumber list
On excel if you want more detail.

Wow, what a great post. Thanks for the great pictures too. We all seem to love pictures here.

Nice job, I have materials just need a free Saturday to do mine im not digging down for footings in mine though, it's on a ledgy spot so I went with deck blocks. Your soil is probably sandy on the cape, I wish mine was.

Dimensions are 14ft long 6 ft deep. Posts are 6 ft tall in the back, 7.5 ft for the front. I copied the design of stejus' shed that I posted in the above link. Material for framing and roof was about $450. I can make a lumber list
On excel if you want more detail.
Thanks for the info. The lumber looks pretty straight-forward, just wanted to double check my mental math in terms of estimating materials cost.

I'm still going back and forth on building one of these myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.