No pellets in local box stores - for weeks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, I priced corn here, just about the same as pellets. I guess they must not buy local corn, it must come out of the mid west. My P61 will burn a mix.
When I bought some corn, I got it for 3.23 a bushel, right out of the combine. Not long after, price shot up. I think it is now 3.50, which is still cheaper then pellets tho.

When I bought some corn, I got it for 3.23 a bushel, right out of the combine. Not long after, price shot up. I think it is now 3.50, which is still cheaper then pellets tho.
Here it's a bulk hopper, if you pull up with a trailer they will dump them into some kind of bulk bag. So you go home with loose corn by the ton in a big storage bag of some sort. Don't know haven't tried it but I want to say it was around $279 a ton. Don't quote that but I know it was up around there, maybe $259.

When I bought it was 115.00 a ton. I sold my gravity wagon a couple years ago.( Didn't think corn would ever be cheap enough to burn again.) But I have a utility trailer with 2x6 floor and metal sides, 5x12 size. It will hold 48 bushel. I back it into garage and use my Kanburn cleaner mover to suck it out of trailer and clean. When barrel is full, I have a ball valve on bottom that has a pipe that goes into a bin in the basement. No muss, no fuss. :). And I don't have to put a roof on it like I did the wagon. It is stretching the just over two pallets of pellets I have from 3 years ago. I remember the good ole days when corn was 1.46 a bushel, and pellets were 2.00 a bag.

If feel bad for people trying to save $$$ just to stay warm, Its a tough world and the cost of living just keeps climbing, I was at the HD in Newton NJ yesterday morning and I overheard the manager tell her employee's that a shipment of pellets was expected soon and people would be limited to one pallet per customer, I don't burn pellets for heat but I can not imagine spending a couple g's for a decent stove, plus install then get hit with no pellets, or even worse gouging of the price per bag or ton

Reactions: kappel15
HD here has had a good steady supply of AWF, pure White pine Super Premium Pellets for $269 a ton . They are excellent pellets with almost 0 ash. A low burn will produce a small amount of ash on the burn pot but a moderate overnight burn leaves just about nothing to clean up in the morning. It looks like they have some left and then switching over to something in yellow bags, I didn't even look. If I didn't have my stash I would buy a ton of these AWF while they have them. Actually two different location had them last week.
My local Ace has a great supply of Lignetics. Stocked up in July for about 230$ a ton. At the highest last year they got about $5.35 a bag for small buys.

Even if oil were cheaper, I would still fire up the pellet stove once in a while when Im in the mood for a fire.

+1, the pellet stove is a luxury item for us, not solitary or even primary heat, used on weekends and holidays. I have a high efficiency ("Munchkin") gas boiler -- no, I have not "done the math" but heating costs for the house have not been particularly troublesome. But we (and particularly my wife) like to be near the fire while watching TV, reading, whatever. No radiator is going to give us that ambiance. OTOH, we don't use oil anymore (our first X-mas as newlyweds in this house, woke up to 42F indoors due to a frozen oil line, so we switched to gas ASAP) so YMMV.

That said, I have not been to a big box in a couple of weeks, and reading all this I should not be surprised that I won't have the opportunity to get some more bags just-in-case at my next visit.

My local Ace has a great supply of Lignetics. Stocked up in July for about 230$ a ton. At the highest last year they got about $5.35 a bag for small buys.
I wish that was true now. Local hardware store at $350 a ton for lignetics,white bag, orange letters.

was at the Middletown NY HD Saturday 11/15/14, GS for 4.98 a bag, 239 a ton I grabbed 10 bags to try them out, unfortunately (or not depending on your POV) I have 3 tons in the garage and am out of room.. otherwise I'd be in the market for another ton or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.