No Replacement for Displacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I need to take a step back on something I said over a week ago. 1st off I am very happy with the EPA stove and do not plan on going back in time. However I made a statement that the new Magnolia was putting off as much or more heat than the old Nashua. And to stand next to it you do feel an enormous amount off radiant heat. Then the weather got real cold and I know in yrs past even the Nashua could struggle a little in sub zero temps. But in the back of my mind I was starting to have some doubts that maybe we were a little warmer then than now. Well today I know for sure the Mag isn't quite doing what the old girl did. In near freezing temps or slightly above like we had today my basement would have been an easy 80 degrees with the Nashua with one arm tied behind its back. The Magnolia was fired consistently above 500 and more like 700-800 and the best it did was 75. Proof that my thoughts were right. The amount of actual BTUs a stove is capable of is directly relevant to its size.
Over at my Neighbor's today. He was firing up the old Hutch Rebel ( monstrous stove with over 10cuft fb.). Wow can that dude pour it out. Here again more surface area more radiant heat.
I still like my new EPA stove for a host of reasons but to heat a large area you need a large stove plain and simple. BTW the Elm I have ordered is about 25% bigger surface area than the Nashua.

Turned the blower on yet?

My new stove has a hard time filling the shoes of my old stove. The firebox is the same size too.

BrotherBart said:
Turned the blower on yet?
This is the 3rd stove with a blower. And still I say it makes no diff. I'm a believer that the natural convective air currents are moving more air than than any fan can. The cob webs in my basement prove it. But yes I have tried it and it doesn't raise the temps any at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.