No spark . What to check next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Tried to start my older Super tomahawk chipper with Briggs and Stratton 8 hp engine and failed. Found out with ignition tester there is no spark. Removed cover panel with switch and wires that goes to switch does not look good. Probably mice damage. Can it be the cause of failure? Also how to check if switch is not the cause?

Some pics of the wires and switch . Is switch wired right way?. There is three prongs . One is not used, the other connected to black wire, and one more connected to 2 white wires. Not sure if harness or wiring is original .

Attachments

• 104129F7-51F7-414A-AB9F-413BA932379F.jpeg
    104129F7-51F7-414A-AB9F-413BA932379F.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 19678B41-63DE-4BC8-A787-7B441CCE51CA.jpeg
    19678B41-63DE-4BC8-A787-7B441CCE51CA.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 225
Without seeing a schematic I cannot tell what the switch does. Many systems of this type uses a contact to ground the circuit to stop the spark, but the switch may actually do the opposite. I'd say that anything with insulation requires insulation to work properly. Try isolating the wires to produce spark and if that doesn't work try completing the circuit through the switch. Also, and just as important is the amount of rust on your flywheel. Probably good to clean that and the coil section and adjust the gap if needed.

Electronic. OK, that rules out points. Get that mice damage all cleared up and we can go from there.

What the best way to get rust out ? Should I just use sand paper or something else ?

Emery cloth on the magnet and pickup. I just use an index card or a business card for the gap.
Thanks will do, and report back. Jags suggested to change the wires with stripped insulation first. but harness is obsolete and not sold by Briggs and Stratton anymore.

Thanks will do, and report back. Jags suggested to change the wires with stripped insulation first. but harness is obsolete and not sold by Briggs and Stratton anymore.

Go to lowes and get a few feet of 16-18ga stranded wire, butt splices and shrink tubing.

Yep - no need to replace the harness. Just fix what is bare and in the process confirm its integrity (nothing broke or loose).

Update Guys thank you . it works , cleaned the flywheel magnet and it started on second pull. Wish I knew it from the start. Now i got new spark, new spark wrench kit, cleaning aerosol, starting aerosol. LOL.